1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pretend you own a clothing store....

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Stazy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. DredgersUnion

DredgersUnion Member

Me and my friend asked ourselves the same question...

and came up with The Dredgers Union.

2. thatguymj

thatguymj Senior member

whatever123, that is pretty damn good.

I did some consulting for a few boutiques last year and I think that everything you said above is very accurate with the exception of the no coffee/food and the buying furniture.

Customers, especially in high end mens stores, love dumb shit like espressos, or a glass of wine, or some scotch. It makes them feel 'special' and more comfortable.

Also, no need to actually buy high end furniture. There is no shortage of high end furniture makers that will co-sign you pretty much whatever you want. Much better model to get the stuff you need for free with the chance to make some extra income selling it.

The biggest mistake that stores make is treating their employees like shit and not paying them enough which of course creates tons of turnover, laziness, etc and costs them more than simply paying fairly in the first place. The space issue is a big one too. Less is more in a boutique. You have to keep your fixed costs as low as possible and less space is the easiest way to do so.

1 person likes this.
  3. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Sounds like you've almost exactly described Bird, a boutique in Brooklyn that is pretty popular.

Saturdays Surf did this successfully, there are always lots of people lounging around drinking coffee and shooting the shit on the back patio. That said, I might want to do something like this, although I think their actual wares are pretty stupid. Will think about it some more and try to get a more insightful post.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Desi

Desi Senior member

I've been to bird a few times and can see some similarities though I dislike the vast separation of mens and women in their Williamsburg location. Beautiful fitting room doors though and a pretty good even if safe buyer.

5. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

just curious, are there any high-end stores that only conduct business online?

6. avery

avery Senior member

i think ssense? but i'm not 100% sure

7. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

For customers who initially sit at the cafe, it would be pretty cool to give them a tablet with the current stock on it, they could select items they want to try on, and then have the items ready for them once they're done their coffee. Wouldn't be very hard (or expensive) to do and it would be kind of a unique experience.

Mr Porter.

8. Desi

Desi Senior member

Barneys has that except the interface is built into the cafe table. One big communal table with touchscreen, articles, blogs, and stock available at every seat.

9. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

i wanna consult. i would love to leave goldman. :)

10. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

sounds like a terrible social experience

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Cool thread. This post in Mortar made me feel a touch uncomfortable, not because i dislike the brands ( i love most of them), but it seems to be a) exactly what a million other boutiques are stocking right now b) right in SF hype trend (just add white mountaineering)

No hate to BTG, they're all good suggestions, but surely there must be other brands out there that people can walk into a shop and like. Do we have to have seen stuff on the internet for us to want to buy it in real life?

12. habitant

habitant Senior member

I think that a lot of boutiques don't have a lot of focus. I kind of like Haven Vancouver, it's puny, but i really like the atmosphere... along with the fact that they only offer the high end of Havens offerings, makes it work well.

I went to 'anthropologie' with my wife for the first time last week, and it's pretty cool. Stuff for your home and clothing...

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

I don't get this, those brands exist outside the styleforum hype or wathever, sure ther are other brands that go dramatically unnnoticed and that deserve some recongnition but ignoring labels just because they're mentionned on internet is silly.

I would just buy the entire Schneider size 3 inventory and set a nice webstore...

I tend to like stores with consequent buys from one label, it's more risky no doubt but at least you get the impression than there's more thought going into the selection, plus larger buys often mean more weird pieces, those that no stores will stock because they won't sell well (supposedly). I would also stay away from the really plain stuff.

I also like stores that pair brands in unexpected ways, that bridge aesthetics.

Admitdelly I'd be on the brink of forclosure 6 months in so I'm counting on my Schneider sz.3 monopoly to back my moribund operation.

1 person likes this.
  14. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

While I understand where you're coming from Hendrix and don't disagree that other brands deserve consideration, I'd have to say that most of the things I listed aren't on a hype cycle, but are popular year in and year out, and for good reason. They provide the right mix of quality, wearability, and value that guys look for. With the exception of maybe BB1, I think everyone likes to feel like they got a good value when buying an item. When you handle an Ervell pocket sweater, a schneider scarf, or tricker's shoes, you instantly know why they cost what they do. These brands would seem to do even better in a brick and mortar than online, since the sense of touch is such a powerful one with clothing. Also, I was recommending items for a store in Houston, Texas that now carries mostly gitman, OL, and several different kinds of denim, so their store isn't trying to be and probably can't be too fashion forward. And yes, those items also sell well online, which again is probably a bigger percentage of business for a store in Texas than one in a more fashion-centered location. If the store was in New York, LA, or Paris I would do something different.

15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I'm not saying ignore them, I just think it's strange that pretty much these same brands are repeated boutique-to boutique. I mean, I live in New Zealand, on the other side of the fucking world, and it's pretty much these brands (minus Schneider) at a local place down the road. Don't you find that weird?
    Moreover, I feel more compelled to look at something properly when i've seen a picture of it on the internet - "hey, i remember seeing that in runway pics/WAYWT, I wonder what it feels like/how it fits?" Of course, there's also the fact that i know if i've seen it on the internet there's probably some place i can get it cheaper.

Yeah disregard my use of "hype" - doesn't mean it's not deserved. What i'm getting at is that we are aware of these brands before we buy, and that seems to be reassuring. Does the boutique rely on our previous knowledge to a degree? Agree that baby alpaca is instantly recognisable as nice and certain things do strike you. Do we need to have seen a collection to "get it?" Or is that the original purpose of curating a boutique?

This is all first class wankery btw.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  16. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member