• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pressure on sole along front edge of heel

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I was wondering if anybody (of the shoe experts) knows how to handle the following issue (could not find a thread covering this issue).

I recently got a pair of AEs and when I wore them a couple of times I felt pressure against my soles along the front edge of the heel of the left shoe. I never experienced anything like this with other shoes or this pair of shoes prior to recrafting. Just wanted to see if this is a normal stiffness which disappears or if there is something I can do about it? I am no longer in the States which makes sending them back to AE a bit tedious especially if there is an easy fix.

Thanks!

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update:

I went to a cobbler who also has been selling and repairing Allen Edmonds for many years. The issue was that the heel was not attached correctly to the sole such that the back of the heel was a few millimeters above the floor when standing upright meaning the whole weight was resting on the front edge of the heel. He said a few years ago a shoe like that would have never made it out of the AE factory, but nowadays issues like that come up more and more often. He also mentioned that the leather quality has been better in the past.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding the cause.

So the fix was to shave enough off the front of the heel to make it even? or is it a more involved fix?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Congratulations on finding the cause.
So the fix was to shave enough off the front of the heel to make it even? or is it a more involved fix?

he didn't find it. he still owns the AE's. getting rid off is the more involved fix. kidding.

the cobbler doesn't shave off or grounds off. he builts up the missing part with a chock of leather or rubber, depends on the size and what the client demands.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he didn't find it. he still owns the AE's. getting rid off is the more involved fix. kidding.

I have "downgraded" my AEs already to use at less important occasions and I doubt that I will be buying another pair unless I see an upswing of their quality. However, I certainly will keep cherishing and recrafting my 4+ year old pairs of Park Aves and Fifth Aves which are holding out and looking so much better than the recent purchases despite heavier use.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have "de\owngraded" my AEs already to use at less important occasions and I doubt that I will be buying another pair unless I see an upswing of their quality. However, I certainly will keep cherishing and recrafting my 4+ year old pairs of Park Aves and Fifth Aves which are holding out and looking so much better than the recent purchases despite heavier use.

na ja, schlimm genug das es abwärts geht.

erfreulich, dass sich die anderen beiden bewähren.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads