• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pressing badly creased ties

jester

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment, and just unpacked some things that had been in storage for several months. I discovered that most of my ties were simply thrown into a box haphazardly and covered with other things, and now they are severely creased,well past the point of being able to just hang out.

What's the best way of smoothing them back out?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might take them to Tiecrafters to have them either cleaned and/or relined. They have several New York branches. The tie will look like new and tie like new when they come back (not ironed and squashed). Only problem-costs about $18 per tie to clean and reline.

jester

Reaction score
Yeah, I was aware of the Tiecrafters option, but was hoping there'd be something less expensive. Like some special way of hanging them in the shower that I hadn't considered, or something.

This wasn't quite as bad as what the contractor did with my network wiring, but I digress....

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Had the same problem w/my move to TX. Try an iron at a lower setting than cotton.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Get an iron on the lowest steam setting and a white handkerchief. Lay one out on an ironing board and cover with handkerchief. Iron over it pushing steam button repeatedly, but do not press down, or at least not very hard. This has always worked for me, with some pretty bad thrift shop ties. Be very careful where the label and (hopefully) the self-loop at the back are, to not press down on those. Might want to do that part with the tie flipped upside down to minimize the chance of pressing a loop shape through the front.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My iron (OK - my wife's) has a silk setting - works great at getting creases out of ties.

Bradford

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Repeat after me:

Steam is my friend
Steam is my friend

I tend to break my own rule and leave ties tied (ones we use on mannequins) for months at a time. To get severe creases out, hang it by the small end and gently steam it with a decent steamer for a few minutes. Worst case i will lay it flat, cover the stemer wand with a soft clean cotton cloth and use gentle pressure over it.

Might take two steamings but this should solve it if the tie is well made. You can PM me who made the tie - if it is one using a very cheap wool lining then steam can warp it (thus the maker should be have it tied around their neck and then around a branch).

So why the hell don't sheep shrink when it rains anyway?

uriahheep

Reaction score
100% wool linings are very rarely used, even by top-quality makers. This isn't because they are looking to save a few cents. A 100% wool lining doesn't cost much more than a wool/viscose lining. Viscose simply takes the finishing treatments to stiffen the lining better than wool does, hence the mix of wool and viscose.
Many tiemakers buy interlinings pre-cut on the bias, so with most ties twisting and so on should not be of great concern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads