• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pressing a suit without cleaning it?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
There seems to be general agreement that dry cleaing a suit is hard on the fabric and shortens the life of the garment. Some have suggested that a suit should not be cleaned more than once a year, and/or only if the suit is genuinely soiled.

With my small travel steamer, I can ease the wrinkles out of the sleeves and body of the jacket, and I can usually work the trouser wrinkles at the knee at by hanging the trouser up on a "pinch" hanger.

I live in a very humid climate, but wear deodorant, and don't smoke (though I am often in environments where people do).  There seem to be times when "airing out the suit" does not cure the smell.  Is it wise or safe to send the suit out to be pressed when there is obvious odor in the garment? Could pressing the garment without cleaning set odors or stains not visible to the naked eye?

Bic

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you might try first hanging the suit up in the bathroom (with correct hangers, of course...as you mention, pinch-type trouser hanger which suspends them from the bottom, and a heavy, thick-shouldered hanger for jacket) as your wife takes a long hot shower. the steam bath can work miracles, follow with a brief airing-out before returning the suit to the closet.

i noticed your post on shirts...problem is, whenever i iron my shirt collars, they were never as good as the laundering and pressing done professionally-- tips of my 3 1/8" collars curled at the points when i did them.

by the way, have you purchased any shirts from ebay? there is a pretty good selection of T&A, Dunhill, Luciano Barbera, RL purple label, etc.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Dear Foxx:

Thank you for the suggestions. I take advantage of every steamy bathroom I can find.

I didn't mention in my original post that I use a spray product from P & G (Proctor & Gamble) that is supposed to remove cigarette, food, and body odors from clothes. An ex-girlfriend sprayed it on my clothes when I came back from smoke filled restaurants. I don't know what long term effect this may have.

Sorry to hear about your experience with home ironing. I may see which I like less--cleaner over-pressed wrinkled collars and sleeves, or home pressed curled collars and sleeves.

Thanks for the tip on E-bay. The only thing I ever purchased on e-bay is a pair of silver mother of pearl cuff links. The shirts I have purchased on line have been from Charles Tyrwhitt. I am pretty happy with them thus far.

Bic

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would be wary of anything sprayed on your wool suits....keep in mind, wool is a natural fiber, and anything sprayed on could have harmful effects. i would say the tailoring firms of Savile Row put it best that steam is the only thing that should be used on fine suits. if you bought your shirts online, you might also check out the ones at www.thomaspink.co.uk and www.newandlingwood.com (i bought my tuxedo shirt from them, a marcella....classic.) as for shirt cleaners, i notice that some of them do mess up the collar (wrinkles steamed into the cuffs and collars.) and some do a pretty darned good job. until i move to a larger city, i have found a place that does good work, after i explained to them what i was looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads