• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pressed or rolled lapels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davmeva

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me out interpreting this message I recently received from a BKK tailor. We have been emailing back and forth for a few days now. They have said they can provide a half canvassed jacket. I then followed up with a question asking if they can produce a soft rolled lapel, as I'm not interested in machine pressed. The answer I received was a little cryptic.

" If you prefer a lightly pressed lapel – you can also let us know, as it is indeed a personal preference right there. Even if a lapel has been hard pressed, it can still be undone into a soft, unpressed/minor pressed lapel.

My gut feeling is that this will be machine pressed and won't have the "hollow" of a soft rolled. Am I correct.

Thank you to anyone who can provide help

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone on here would be able to help me out interpreting this message I recently received from a BKK tailor. We have been emailing back and forth for a few days now. They have said they can provide a half canvassed jacket. I then followed up with a question asking if they can produce a soft rolled lapel, as I'm not interested in machine pressed. The answer I received was a little cryptic.

" If you prefer a lightly pressed lapel – you can also let us know, as it is indeed a personal preference right there. Even if a lapel has been hard pressed, it can still be undone into a soft, unpressed/minor pressed lapel.

My gut feeling is that this will be machine pressed and won't have the "hollow" of a soft rolled. Am I correct.

Thank you to anyone who can provide help

Welcome to the forum @davmeva . They are saying they can do a "soft roll", but just stating that even if someone hard presses a lapel, a good tailor/cleaners can get out the crease and bring back that nice lapel roll.

Last edited:

davmeva

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply. I've been learning a lot over the last few weeks. This adds to the pot. When I've finished all my research and got my decisions I'll do a more in depth post

davmeva

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know this next question is moving slightly away from lapels but I figured as it's the same suit and the same tailors I would be best to keep it in the same place.

so I started off by contacting a large number of tailors and I've narrowed it down to 2. One of them is offering a fully canvassed suit which will take around 8-10 weeks and 3-4 fittings, this seems in line with what I would expect from a UK tailor. The other is offering a half canvassed and says they can do it in a week, also with 3-4 fittings. One week for a half canvassed 3 piece suit seems a little unrealistic to me and would indicate they are cutting corners somewhere. But admittedly I'm slightly on the guessing side of the line. Any opinions would be very welcome.

As an addition I would like to add that when I started researching BKK tailors I found there was lots of information but much of it was from several years ago. Over the last month or two I've compiled a lot of information. I've had email exchanges with several tailors which in some ways contradict many of the things I read in reviews. When I have made my final decision I will post a full report detailing everything I've learnt and hopefully pictures of the finished item.

As always thank you for your time, knowledge and replies.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I started off by contacting a large number of tailors and I've narrowed it down to 2. One of them is offering a fully canvassed suit which will take around 8-10 weeks and 3-4 fittings, this seems in line with what I would expect from a UK tailor. The other is offering a half canvassed and says they can do it in a week, also with 3-4 fittings. One week for a half canvassed 3 piece suit seems a little unrealistic to me and would indicate they are cutting corners somewhere. But admittedly I'm slightly on the guessing side of the line. Any opinions would be very welcome.

3-4 fittings in 8-10 means that your suit is waiting its turn to be worked on between fittings. The same number of fittings could be compressed into a single week if the suit is worked on immediately in between fittings. You should ask. It does not necessarily mean the quick-turnaround shop is cutting corners, although they may very well be.

A bigger difference might be in the full canvas versus the half-canvas. There is information available on this forum and elsewhere that illustrates the difference. There should also be a difference in price. You must decide on whether a fully canvased jacket is something you want, or not.

Have you seen examples of the work from both these places? That might be the best determining factor. Shoddy work can be done quickly or slowly.

davmeva

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply. I've done my research on Full vs half canvassed and would prefer full but it looks like with my time-scale and the fact I can only find one place the offers it, I'm going to have to go half. But I am happy you feel that it's possible in the time they're quoting me. I'll do as you suggested and try to find some pictures of their work. Thanks for your time and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads