• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Present from Wife

slaavwmr

Reaction score
My wife has offered to get me a present (I deserve it, trust me).

She has given me 3 choices

1) A Zegna suit
2) A combination of 1 suit and 1 pair of shoes from the following lists: a) Canali b) Corneliani c) Hickey and a) C&J b) EG.

She has a general budget so the combination would have to work out the same. If I get a sale suit I can get the EG's if I get a full priced suit I get the C&J's.

I have 2 Zegna's and love them.

What would you guys do?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have any good shoes?  If not, you should go for #2. And if you're skeptical about the other brands of suits, maybe try to get 3 pairs of EG.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Option 2. Also take into consideration that shoes last much longer than suits.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Are the EG's that much better than CJ's?

I am not sure I need anything. I would like a nice pair of English shoes. I currently have all Allen Edmonds. I figure if I go C&J I can get my fitting down here and in teh future order on sale from either Pediwear or PLAL. I am not familiar with many places that sell EG's.

As far as the suit is concerned. It would be a replacement for a suit I have but have decided I don't like the cut. I was thinking of replacing a Hickey-Freeman with a more Italian styled cut. Am I crazy? Should I just stick with they Hickey? The suits I am looking at are basics. Pinstripe (grey or Blue) or Solid Navy. I am going back and forth.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the EG's that much better than CJ's?

I am not sure I need anything. I would like a nice pair of English shoes. I currently have all Allen Edmonds.
Better go with Option 1, then.  If you get a pair of EGs, you'll never want to wear your AEs again.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
You can get EGs from Mitchells/Richards. Definitely get a pair...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could do better than either options.

Go to Barneys warehouse sale the last weekend, chance are very good that you can pick up a Brioni for around $1200 or an Isaia for less than $1000. For $500 you can get a pair EG either from the Polo Rhindlander Mansion or from Burlington Arcade during sale. You'll a pair of shoe tree if you buy the EG from Polo.

Total price $1700, less than a regular priced Zegna.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
The Barney's warehouse sale is kind of a crap shot... Some great deals to be had but many many variables... Are you a popular suit size/shoe size? To be honest I haven't seen much Brioni make it to the last weekend... but sometimes you get real lucky too.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without going into detail, I would also cast my vote for Option 2. My major question is, where does one find women like that??? Most of the women in my life (not counting my mother) have given me crap like "soap on a rope".
mad.gif
For last Xmas, my wife gave me a Battistoni tie that was on sale at Barneys. Nice tie...but a far cry from a pair of Eddie Greens (to say nothing of a Canali suit). In fairness to my wife, I told her I wanted little so that I could have carte blanche (relatively speaking) in spending my money on the clothes of my choosing.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn-- I'd go with von rathburt's idea, 100% forget the other advice, that's a brioni suit and a pair of edward greens... Of course, you could pretty much get a Brioni suit from a reputable seller online, if you didn't find anything in your size at barneys (honest*goods, etc.) If you could acquire a pair of Greens like one of these... ....and maybe a Brioni suit like this (I think this one is a 46Reg) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....73&rd=1 ...I'd say you could be one of the best turned-out gents for fall 2005.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics