• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prescription Sunglasses

whynot

Reaction score
Who has them? I wear glasses all the time. I'm thinking of getting prescription sunglasses this summer but I'm wondering if I can get a pair that can be worn all day. Meaning I don't look silly wearing them at night if I'm out the whole day. I don't want to carry both pair around.

Anyone care to share their suggestions on types/styles, I haven't a clue.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had them for years. Don't leave home without them.

Any styles you normally wear would work, except for extreme wrap-arounds or any extremely curved lenses for that matter.

seanchai

Reaction score
I have a pair of prescription Oakley Square Wire 2.0s that I keep in my car for driving. I don't like them otherwise; if I intend to wear sunglasses for a day I'll wear contacts. Nice glasses though.

stach

Reaction score
teacha.gif
They go from light to dark very quickly. Grey works faster than the brown. It's about $110 extra.

Aureus

Reaction score
Transition lenses all the way. Something frameless, or very thing wire frames in a style that you like and they'll look good as glasses and as sunglasses. The only downside to transitions is that they don't work in cars.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is where you would need them most of the time anyway. Worse still that you generally want much larger lenses with sunglasses for proper protection. Transitions are a pretty mediocre compromise for functionality. I've just managed to live with carrying around my sunglasses with me in a case and switching where necessary.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i had transition lenses for a long time. I found they never got dark enough for me (i like my shades dark - i there's a lot of sunshine in CA) and they alway stay a bit tinted, which can sometimes and creepy others.

Max

Reaction score
Do not, under any circumstances, wear transitions lenses. The only person I know who rocks them is this nerdy longhaired college freshmen who buttons the top button of his polo shirts and wears turtlenecks with his jeans, enormous trenchcoat, and white new balances.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
Do not, under any circumstances, wear transitions lenses. The only person I know who rocks them is this nerdy longhaired college freshmen who buttons the top button of his polo shirts and wears turtlenecks with his jeans, enormous trenchcoat, and white new balances.
And that means what exactly? I've seen some damn stupid looking people wearing aviators. I suppose that means no one should ever wear them? The moment you start letting other people's style dictate your own is the moment you've lost any sense of style you think you have. I mean hey, just because he wears Polos stupidly means we shouldn't wear Polos right? Or turtle necks, or jeans, or trench coats... As far as the functionality of them goes, they work fine for me, and I've personally never had a problem with driving into the sun, and at 50k miles a year you'd think I would have. So if you think that’s a big enough issue, get a pair of sunglasses to keep in the car. Or consider lenses with magnetic sunglass frame attachments. Frankly I do not like carrying much around on my person, and as a consequence transitions work perfectly for me. Glasses, wallet, keys and knife. Anything more and I'm annoyed. I have gone so far as to trash sunglasses I liked, and frames that had magnetic sunglass attachments because it was simply to much of a bother to carry them around.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
I have soured on the concept of prescription sunglasses. Basically because it requires that you carry a pair of clear glasses also. Here what I currently do:

1. Contact lenses, and carry regular sunglasses. -or-
2. Wear prescription glasses that are customized with clip ons, either mechanical or magnetic. -and-
3. For extreme athletic activities, goggles, dive mask, etc. with inserts.

Cheers,

M8

Metal Circus

Reaction score
I'm not going to bash the practicality of Transistions, or deny that plenty of people look like squares or d-bags in aviators. But without photographic proof to defy me, I will openly say that I don't think Transistions can ever look cool.

Getting contacts really makes the most sense, because then you can choose any sunglasses you want.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
Also - I challenge anyone to post a picture of someone looking good in clip-ons.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metal Circus
Also - I challenge anyone to post a picture of someone looking good in clip-ons.

Clip-ons have come a long way in recent years. They are no longer like the nerdy/goofy/geeky plastic flip up things of yesteryear. One can hardly tell they are clip-ons, and most of the top end frame designers are now making them.

Cheers,

M8

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
Do you like anything? I'm beginning to think you are just trolling every section of the board. It's getting a bit old.

Max

Reaction score
Thing about transitions that makes them look dumb to me is that they never seem to go fully clear. It gives sort of an "I've had these since the 70s and the plastic lenses have yellowed" kind of vibe.

I'd say go for some wayfarers. Classic styling, easy to get prescription lenses for, and they fold up flat so you can just stick 'em in your pocket. Or just get a pair of sunglasses that match your normal glasses.

If your main concern is driving and you don't like carrying stuff, I suggest just leaving them in your car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads