Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prescription Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whynot, Apr 13, 2006.

1. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Who has them? I wear glasses all the time. I'm thinking of getting prescription sunglasses this summer but I'm wondering if I can get a pair that can be worn all day. Meaning I don't look silly wearing them at night if I'm out the whole day. I don't want to carry both pair around.

Anyone care to share their suggestions on types/styles, I haven't a clue.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've had them for years. Don't leave home without them.

Any styles you normally wear would work, except for extreme wrap-arounds or any extremely curved lenses for that matter.

3. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I have a pair of prescription Oakley Square Wire 2.0s that I keep in my car for driving. I don't like them otherwise; if I intend to wear sunglasses for a day I'll wear contacts. Nice glasses though.

4. stach

stach Senior member

[​IMG] They go from light to dark very quickly. Grey works faster than the brown. It's about $110 extra.

5. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Transition lenses all the way. Something frameless, or very thing wire frames in a style that you like and they'll look good as glasses and as sunglasses. The only downside to transitions is that they don't work in cars.

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Which is where you would need them most of the time anyway. Worse still that you generally want much larger lenses with sunglasses for proper protection. Transitions are a pretty mediocre compromise for functionality. I've just managed to live with carrying around my sunglasses with me in a case and switching where necessary.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

i had transition lenses for a long time. I found they never got dark enough for me (i like my shades dark - i there's a lot of sunshine in CA) and they alway stay a bit tinted, which can sometimes and creepy others.

8. Max

Max Senior member

Do not, under any circumstances, wear transitions lenses. The only person I know who rocks them is this nerdy longhaired college freshmen who buttons the top button of his polo shirts and wears turtlenecks with his jeans, enormous trenchcoat, and white new balances.

9. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Do not, under any circumstances, wear transitions lenses. The only person I know who rocks them is this nerdy longhaired college freshmen who buttons the top button of his polo shirts and wears turtlenecks with his jeans, enormous trenchcoat, and white new balances.
    And that means what exactly? I've seen some damn stupid looking people wearing aviators. I suppose that means no one should ever wear them? The moment you start letting other people's style dictate your own is the moment you've lost any sense of style you think you have. I mean hey, just because he wears Polos stupidly means we shouldn't wear Polos right? Or turtle necks, or jeans, or trench coats... As far as the functionality of them goes, they work fine for me, and I've personally never had a problem with driving into the sun, and at 50k miles a year you'd think I would have. So if you think that’s a big enough issue, get a pair of sunglasses to keep in the car. Or consider lenses with magnetic sunglass frame attachments. Frankly I do not like carrying much around on my person, and as a consequence transitions work perfectly for me. Glasses, wallet, keys and knife. Anything more and I'm annoyed. I have gone so far as to trash sunglasses I liked, and frames that had magnetic sunglass attachments because it was simply to much of a bother to carry them around.

10. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

I have soured on the concept of prescription sunglasses. Basically because it requires that you carry a pair of clear glasses also. Here what I currently do:

1. Contact lenses, and carry regular sunglasses. -or-
    2. Wear prescription glasses that are customized with clip ons, either mechanical or magnetic. -and-
    3. For extreme athletic activities, goggles, dive mask, etc. with inserts.

Cheers,

M8

11. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

I'm not going to bash the practicality of Transistions, or deny that plenty of people look like squares or d-bags in aviators. But without photographic proof to defy me, I will openly say that I don't think Transistions can ever look cool.

Getting contacts really makes the most sense, because then you can choose any sunglasses you want.

12. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

Also - I challenge anyone to post a picture of someone looking good in clip-ons.

13. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

Also - I challenge anyone to post a picture of someone looking good in clip-ons.

Clip-ons have come a long way in recent years. They are no longer like the nerdy/goofy/geeky plastic flip up things of yesteryear. One can hardly tell they are clip-ons, and most of the top end frame designers are now making them.

Cheers,

M8

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Do you like anything? I'm beginning to think you are just trolling every section of the board. It's getting a bit old.

15. Max

Max Senior member

Thing about transitions that makes them look dumb to me is that they never seem to go fully clear. It gives sort of an "I've had these since the 70s and the plastic lenses have yellowed" kind of vibe.

I'd say go for some wayfarers. Classic styling, easy to get prescription lenses for, and they fold up flat so you can just stick 'em in your pocket. Or just get a pair of sunglasses that match your normal glasses.

If your main concern is driving and you don't like carrying stuff, I suggest just leaving them in your car.