• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prescription sunglasses frames

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have much experience with buying these? I need a new pair, but when I went into the store a little while ago, I was told that the frames could have virtually zero curvature or else the prescription wouldn't work. This means that wraparounds and aviators are right out, and it limited my selection pretty dramatically otherwise.

I'm not interested in something like wayfarers, but I am interested in something like these Persols in HomerJ's glasses thread. Would they work, or do they suffer from the same drawback? I should mention that my prescription is quite strong (something like -6 in both eyes).

Any suggestions for/pics of workable frames would be appreciated.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aviators out? No. I've had a few pairs over the years- there's not much curve to them. As far as wrap-arounds... I've never personally seen, like, blades in prescription but I bet they are out there (for athletes etc).

I have a pair of Maui Jim -scrips ATM.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is your prescription? My prescription is really bad but i've had wraparounds in the past. you may want to get hi-index lenses.

whistler

Reaction score
The glasses in the links would be fine, since they're not that curved. I've worn prescription lenses in curved wrap-arounds for ages and never had any problems. Before they put in the lens they tlel you there may be some distortion in the viewing, but I never experience any.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
How is your prescription? My prescription is really bad but i've had wraparounds in the past. you may want to get hi-index lenses.
Quite bad, as I mentioned. Off by more than 6 diopters in each eye. I always get high-index lenses, but I was told that makes no difference. How bad is yours/what are you wearing?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Quite bad, as I mentioned. Off by more than 6 diopters in each eye. I always get high-index lenses, but I was told that makes no difference. How bad is yours/what are you wearing?

My vision is -11 and -13 in my eyes. I've been wearing Mikli frames for about 3 years and have had no problems. If you go over seas like Japan they can make lenses in 1.76 hi-index plastic. The highest in the US is 1.74 in plastic.

In Canada, they can make glass lens in 1.9

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a pair of Mykita frames that started out being semi-wrap, it just didn't work. Luckily since the material is metal, the store was able to change to a different lense and flatten the frames for me. Never again.

zyg0te

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Those Persols are actually not that curved and shouldn't be a problem.

Oakley seems to put out some aggressively curved scrip lenses. Most styles are athletic but you might want to check out the metal frames.

You cannot tell from the pictures alone. Trust the person selling you (or not selling you) the glasses. It benefits them to sell you glasses, so if they reject a sale trust their opinion. Did they offer you any alternatives?

Plus usually the cylinder power (astigmatism) is a bigger issue than the sphere when determining if the frame will work for your Rx or not.

zyg0te

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Aviators out? No. I've had a few pairs over the years- there's not much curve to them. As far as wrap-arounds... I've never personally seen, like, blades in prescription but I bet they are out there (for athletes etc).

I have a pair of Maui Jim -scrips ATM.

I would probably recommend Aviators as well. They are almost always flat, and ideal for ophthalmic lenses. The only problem is since the lenses are larger and you're a high minus, the lenses will be a lot thicker around the outside. This means high index is a must but I don't think 1.74 or 1.70 come polarized

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zyg0te
I would probably recommend Aviators as well. They are almost always flat, and ideal for ophthalmic lenses. The only problem is since the lenses are larger and you're a high minus, the lenses will be a lot thicker around the outside. This means high index is a must but I don't think 1.74 or 1.70 come polarized

Polarized lens, I believe only are available in 1.70

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Aviators aren't out of the picture. I know many guys that have had a prescription in Ray-Ban outdoorsman and aviators.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. I tried on a few aviators the other day and they looked pretty good. I'm just concerned about how much they'll have to be flattened out to have a prescription lens put in, and whether that'll totally distort the look or not. Eye exam is tomorrow so I'll hopefully get some more information then.

Leaf

Reaction score
If your prescription is around -6.00 for both eyes, you still have a big choice of prescription sunglasses that might work with your Rx. And not only flat frames like aviators, you can even find something in 6 frame base curve. It will also depend on your pupil distance and astigmatism if you have any. For example many Bolle prescription sunglasses or Wiley X prescription sunglasses might work. I'm sure Ray-Ban also carries a few frames that will be competible with your Rx... Let us know what your prescription is when you get a script from the doctor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads