1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription glasses in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Mar 27, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Any recommendations for a good glasses shop in NYC? Doesn't need to be super high end, doesn't need to be bargain basement. Basically looking for a place to get good service (i.e. suggest some quality frames that aren't terribly boring) for a fair price. Oh, and for both regular glasses and Rx sunglasses.

2. haganah

haganah Senior member

I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Any recommendations for a good glasses shop in NYC? Doesn't need to be super high end, doesn't need to be bargain basement. Basically looking for a place to get good service (i.e. suggest some quality frames that aren't terribly boring) for a fair price. Oh, and for both regular glasses and Rx sunglasses.
    Sol Moscot.

3. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Sol Moscot.

+1 I was a contact wearer each and every day. Then I went to Moscot back in October and I haven't worn contacts since.

5. scruff

scruff Senior member

Sol Moscot.

Word. Moscot (LES and Chelsea) and Fabulous Franny's (E Vill) are two staples. Franny's, in my opinion, is the best eyeglasses shop in the city - fantastic vintage frames at reasonable prices and better than average selection of new frames. For the lenses, I recommend 88 Optical on Mott and Hester. Dirt cheap and lenses are always ready in 30 minutes.

6. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

I swear by the people at 10/10 optics

http://www.1010optics.com/
    great staff. great frames.
    can't tell you about pricing, since I trade the owner shirts for contacts/glasses

great readers from http://www.eyebobs.com/

Carl

Second that. Great service and great product. Highly recommended.

7. JordanB

JordanB Senior member

I like Grand Central Optical at Madison, between 45th and 46th. Some of their sales assistants have very good taste and are good at matching glasses to your face (the blonde lady in particular).

8. EasyGoing

EasyGoing Senior member

I swear by the people at 10/10 optics

http://www.1010optics.com/
    great staff. great frames.
    can't tell you about pricing, since I trade the owner shirts for contacts/glasses

My terribly picky gf agrees wholeheartedly.

9. flyguy25

flyguy25 Well-Known Member

Those are awesome

10. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Senior member

I have had good luck at a few of the Robert Marc stores in the city.

11. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Purdy's--at their Madison Ave midtown store, I've been forced to sit next to Walter Cronkite and others fames. They aren't cheap but they get it right and carry a good range of qulaity stuff for a reasonable price.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

As my wife said, "good ole styleforum." Thanks, guys. I'll start with Moscot--I see a few I'd like to try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jerry65

Jerry65 New Member

I think Grand Central Optical is the best!!!! I have been fitted for progressive lenses four times in the past by others and I never was able to wear them. Ask for Scott at the Madison Avenue Store, he fitted me, I was able to wear my glasses immediately and never had a problem. Also they have a great selection of frames. I got many complimants from my clients and friends!!!!

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Bumping this because I'm in the market for some new frames.

I'm particularly interested in trying Mykita glasses because I've heard great things about their comfort and quality. Any leads?

The websites of the sites suggested in this thread don't list them as a line they carry.

15. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Senior member

Hoping to revive an old thread for advise in case new stores have opened the last three years. I've just moved into the city, and it's time for new glasses as well.

Thanks!!

16. Essential

Essential Senior member

WarbyParker, check it out.