• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preppy / Trad Winter Coat (20F - 40F)

style_geek

Reaction score
Live in Midwest and find the 20F-40F to be a zone that I'm unable to find a nice winter coat. Below 20F, I put a parka on. Above 40F, I have Harringtons or Fleece's but that is more Spring or Fall in the midwest. Does anyone have any good options in this weird temperature zone (20-40)? I'm leaning towards down puffer jackets (like Patagonia or Arcteryx) but not sure if anyone has any other good recommendations that may lean a little classier than those (not that they are bad). The Barbour Bedale seems to be more a fall coat (above 40F). Perhaps a Peacoat but may be not warm enough for this temperature either.

Purpose is more to tool around town and be an office jacket. Usual dress for me is chinos and loafers / boots / white sneakers so a little bit classier than the jeans / sweatpants / t-shirt crowd.

Any thoughts?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about a duffle coat? Gloverall has a nice traditional model called the Monty, and duffles have deep trad heritage.

Vintage-Duffle-Coat.jpeg
9903a27f2e77da84348851cbd0783646.jpeg
david-niven-gregory-peck-duffle-coats-mens-style-uk-tweed-pig-1.jpeg
152759078_Moviepix_Film-Carnal-Knowledge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqMgwi8xs1_L2Pvkt7g0nU4xuynbu-3qJFlX...jpeg
©RubyShoesPhotography_NewtonStreetVintageCamelCoat18-682x1024.jpeg
6401332b60da080f6004b88dc3331d8a-copy.jpeg
navy-gloverall-duffle-coat.jpeg

style_geek

Reaction score
What about a duffle coat? Gloverall has a nice traditional model called the Monty, and duffles have deep trad heritage.

View attachment 1780654 View attachment 1780651 View attachment 1780655 View attachment 1780649 View attachment 1780653 View attachment 1780646 View attachment 1780645
I kind of want something that stays around my waistline, not going lower than that. I already have an overcoat for suits.

I'm thinking something more smart casual / business casual but that stays around waistline.

tweedlover

Reaction score
I kind of want something that stays around my waistline, not going lower than that. I already have an overcoat for suits.

I'm thinking something more smart casual / business casual but that stays around waistline.
Generally, the only styles of coat that extends to around the waistline you're apt to find are things like trucker jackets, bombers, and a few other styles found in leather jackets. Personally, when temps here are in the 20-40F range, I prefer a fairly warm coat which would include extending longer than the waist.

style_geek

Reaction score
Generally, the only styles of coat that extends to around the waistline you're apt to find are things like trucker jackets, bombers, and a few other styles found in leather jackets. Personally, when temps here are in the 20-40F range, I prefer a fairly warm coat which would include extending longer than the waist.

I was thinking down jackets from Patagonia but they aren't as "classy."

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
A MA-1 flight jacket, in suede they are classier than the military type, and perfect for that range of temperature.
Or another type of flight jacket like the take on the A1 by Valstar, the Valstarino, pretty classy.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my winters are like yours. Valstarino is not warm enough.
if you want a short coat, a pea coat will work down to 20 with a good hat, scarf, and gloves. Duffle would be a good choice and warmer due to its length.

GaiusM

Reaction score
if you want a short coat, a pea coat will work down to 20 with a good hat, scarf, and gloves. Duffle would be a good choice and warmer due to its length.
Seconding pea coat. Schott makes some that are perfect for the range you described. $400 new or you can find used for a fraction of that price. Got mine for $40 and haven't been cold since.

tweedlover

Reaction score
I have a vintage early 70's USN peacoat, which is, indeed quite warm. Though, for me, only warm enough to mid-30's. Wouldn't consider my peacoat to be waist length, but not as long as a car coat. If you want to be warm on cold days, you need some length to the coat.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style