• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preppy clothing

gregory

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in the mood for some preppy clothing.

I'm thinking of picking up some light blue and pale pink oxford shirts, but I can't decide between Polo RL, Brooks Brothers, or JPress ... all seem nice. My main concern is the fit. I am a 16" 34" but the body of RTW shirts is always slightly large. I wonder if it would be silly to ask Jantzen to make me a button-down oxford shirt.

I really like wearing a blue oxford shirt with sand-colored khakis. My concern is whether sand-colored khakis are appropriate in the fall and winter. If not, what are my alternatives? Would black leather dress shoes, or brown leather casual/sport shoes work with this combination?

Thanks gentlemen. See you later.

Tom

Reaction score
I have found that J Crew is the ultimate in preppy clothes. Just flip through their catalog and your dreams will be realized. =)
Khaki's are fine anytime, but pretty casual.

Tom

NavyStyles

Reaction score
For the fall and winter, I tend to stick to darker colored khakis... if I wear them at all. As far as shoes go, I think you could pull off either brown or black (depending on the shade of khaki), but the tradition seems to be brown.

gregory

Reaction score
I have found that J Crew is the ultimate in preppy clothes. Â Just flip through their catalog and your dreams will be realized. =) Khaki's are fine anytime, but pretty casual. Tom
Arghh but they don't have button-down oxford shirts. How can a preppy store not have button-down oxford shirts
smile.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog....uiting= Last I heard, JCrew was trying to change their image a little, but judging by the clothes the models were wearing, I still see a good share of their traditional preppy look. As for other preppy suggestions, you can try wearing different colored shorts or chinos to mix things up. Start out with blue or yellow, and if you're really ballsy you can try nantucket reds or a madras plaid. It's not my thing personally, but I see a lot of people pull it off reasonably well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am also a 16/34 or thereabouts and I tried buying a RL button down oxford in pink a while back. I found one at a discount store and bought it for $15 or so, only to bring it home and find I could wrap it about 1-1/2 times around my stomach. They are cut for people with a 40+ inch waist and I'm a 32-33ish. I returned it, disappointed. I would recommend staying away from those. I don't see why Jantzen shouldn't be able to make you one though, and possibly update the style a bit with a trimmer cut and some cool details. Just remember they are supposed to be a bit rumply. No fused collars.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J.Press in New Haven sell botton down oxfords.Not as good as Brooks Brother but well made.
Brooks sells great classically styled clothing.They arent uniformally preppy anymore but still has a large selection.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers does make a slim fit button down.

gregory

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers does make a slim fit button down.
I noticed that Brooks Brothers only make the slim-fit variety for their pinpoint oxfords, not their oxfords? Can someone comment on the merits and demerits of each? Does pinpoint oxford quality as preppy? They always seem too shiny to me.
smile.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/quote]I noticed that Brooks Brothers only make the slim-fit variety for their pinpoint oxfords, not their oxfords?
Are you sure of that have you been to the NY, or CT stores?

I have say they are little shiny to be Preppy but they are classy looking still.I prefer the traditional oxford button down from Brooks Brothers to any button down availible( I know I'm in the minority). I like them even more in non -iron.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
For very traditional preppy clothing, check out Jos. A Banks Clothiers I used to get their catalogs and I believe they still have almost every type of preppy styles that you could want. Honestly have no idea about their fit and quality, because I've never ordered anything from them. Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics