Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Preparing to buy a classic (used) boater hat with a black grosgrain ribbon.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Captain O, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Captain O

Captain O Well-Known Member

I'll be bidding on a nice older Boater by Hudson Hats. It isn't perfect, but it is in sufficiently good condition to wear next summer until I decide to replace the leather sweatband. The black ribbon avoids the "barbershop" look while retaining the classic look of this older hat style. While I understand these fell from fashion nearly 90 years ago, they are a great summer cover. light, sturdy and of individual character, they are certainly a "one of a kind" piece of headgear.

People either really appreciate these hats or despise them (there doesn't seem to be much middle ground concerning them).

Any opinions or input concerning these seasonal lids?

2. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Prefer a Panama myself. The Boater is a faintly comedic option these days, so you'll need charisma to pull it off. Works better on a tall man, since the flat top truncates height abruptly.

3. Captain O

I have a Panama as well as eight Bowlers. (I'm also seen regularly in fedoras and trilbies). I'm not worried about "comedic looks" as I am a voice actor/comic/impressionist/impersonator. I have been a talent along these lines for the past 49 years (I began performing as such at the age of 13). It is a physically "cool" summer hat as an alternative to my Panama. My Bowlers get hot after the middle of spring. I stand 5' 7" and weigh about 200 lbs. (Harold Lloyd would have approved).

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

So all these hats are simply props for your thespian activities?

5. Captain O

Not at all. The Bowler has been my personal trademark since I was 20. (That was in mid-1975). I wear hats on a daily basis and find myself ordering bespoke hats whenever possible.

I plan on ordering a beaver fur Homburg from Mike Miller at www.northwesthats.com next month. Mike is a "down to earth" gentleman that goes out of his way to serve his customers as does Bernie Utz of Seattle, WA and John Helmer of Portland, OR. Since he doesn't have a block for a "John Bull" hat, I have found another source for one made of Beaver fur felt. Mike will be delivering a hand-made, "Granite" gray, beaver fur "Whippet" style fedora, with a double-teardrop crown (Mike puts this on another fedora and calls it "seeing double").

I have a new rabbit fur felt Bowler coming from Magill of Montreal, Quebec later this week. I ordered it from John Helmer Haberdasher (969 SW Broadway Portland, OR 97205). This will be a tan or "camel" Bowler with a chocolate grosgrain ribbon and edge binding. This will go well with my tan Herringbone Tweed sports jacket and Khaki slacks. It also matches my stage costume. You can never have too many Bowlers that for a stage costume. (On stage, accidents take place and have cost many actors/comedians their favorite props).

When I buy a "bespoke" hat, Mike will make a beaver fur unit, for $275.00 + shipping from Eugene, OR. Mike takes a minimum of 3 months to make a hat. (Remember, Buster Keaton hand-modified his flat-brimmed pork pie hats by soaking and ironing the brims). The Bowler has covered the head of many an outlaw and "good guy" in the Old West. They also were a favorite of the "Plug Uglies" gang in 19th Century New York. Since the Bowler was, from the beginning, a helmet, it helped them to survive many a violent confrontation/alteration.

I have a "less than common" head shape. I'm a 7 (or 56.9 cm) Long Oval). This makes it difficult for me to get a good "off the rack" fit. Because of this, custom-fitting (read: properly-fitting) hats are a somewhat costly proposition.

Such are the costs of wearing nice headgear. At the age of 63, (as of 12/01/2017) nice clothing is more than worth it. Besides, most men in this town only dress well when,
    1. They attend a wedding,
    2. when attending a funeral,
    3. going to church, and
    4. when they hear the well-worn phrase, "will the defendant please rise".
    I dress better than this on a daily basis and am routinely noticed because of it. This is not bad for a man suffering from OFD... (that's Old Fogies' Disease). :p :crackup:

In the immortal words of ALF (the Alien Life Form). HA! I kill me! :crackup:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

6. Captain O

I won the Boater and should receive it by either Saturday or Monday at the latest. I think that this will be the 2nd such Boater in my community. I know the man that owns/wears the other "skimmer" because he's also starring in a local production of H.G. Wells' "The War Of The Worlds" along with me.

I'm not alone.