• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Premium Outlets clothing quality and selection is it worth looking into?

TylerDurden83

Reaction score
I am in the Chicago area and we have a Premium Outlets mall. Has anyone had experience with these stores and their clothing? What is good and what is bad about them? Are they actually worth it or are the clothing defective / made with cheap materials? Are they far out of season/ style?

Here is a listing of the stores I am interested in at this outlet mall: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=63

7 For All Mankind
Giorgio Armani
Hugo Boss Factory Store
Lacoste
Lucky Brand
Salvatore Ferragamo
Theory
True Religion Brand Jeans

Would it be worth my time to pick up a few suits from Hugo Boss factory store, Giorgio Armani, and Theory? I am looking for a few fashion forward and traditional suits to wear on a daily basis just for fashion. How are the shoes and other items at these stores?

Thanks

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Because I am a brandwhore, I actually like shopping there when I was there.

To answer your question, yes, things that carried at these store are off-season. There are very few items that are made exclusively for outlet.

Mariooo

Reaction score
I also have an outlet nearby..
absolutely worth the time, just make sure to visit often (e.g. there are sometimes additional -50% sales etc), take a closer look at the items for defects etc..

depending on the stores, (and respectively the number of shoppers), the items in the more popular stores will likely be more touched/tried on by people.... not necessarily a bad thing, but that's when a regular visit could come in handy :D

items are either from the last season, some are seconds, some specially made for outlets..

..luckily for me, most shoppers here aren't into the few lesser known, quality stores and sublabels :slayer:

Last edited:

OinkBoink

Reaction score
I have a nearby premium outlet (well, 30 minutes away) with most of those stores. It's kind of a mixed bag. For example, I stopped in the Hugo Boss store several weeks ago just to see how their suit prices compared to retail outlets, even though I had no interest in buying one. If memory serves, hey were listing polyester blend, fused suits for something like $400. Their fused wool suits started at $600. I think that matched the retail price at Nordstrom.

On the other hand, the Coach store often has really good deals that my wife appreciates.

Check the sales and events page. If it's a long haul for you, I'd suggest waiting until they have a sale that interests you: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/sales.asp?id=63

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah outlets are random, sometimes they have really nice stuff, but most of the time its bleh. Usually its a good way to get shirts, undergarments, sleepwear, casual things etc...

I wouldn't go suit shopping there.

You can probably get decent shoes at Ferragamo

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the outlets for sure, I picked up 2 Ermenegildo Zegna dress shirts yesterday, on clearance for $45 each. The Ferragamo outlet has some good deals at times as well, and you can find some gems at Last Call & Saks Off 5th :D

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a nearby premium outlet (well, 30 minutes away) with most of those stores. It's kind of a mixed bag. For example, I stopped in the Hugo Boss store several weeks ago just to see how their suit prices compared to retail outlets, even though I had no interest in buying one. If memory serves, hey were listing polyester blend, fused suits for something like $400. Their fused wool suits started at $600. I think that matched the retail price at Nordstrom.
On the other hand, the Coach store often has really good deals that my wife appreciates.
Check the sales and events page. If it's a long haul for you, I'd suggest waiting until they have a sale that interests you: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/sales.asp?id=63
If your wife "appreciates" Coach, you may need a new wife.

OinkBoink

Reaction score
If your wife "appreciates" Coach, you may need a new wife.
Well, I actually said that she appreciates the deals that they sometimes have. Frankly, I appreciate Coach considering the fact that their handbags cost a fraction of her other handbags.

TylerDurden83

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out at the premium outlet for sales as many suggested. I have also heard many great things about Last Call & Saks Off 5th so I will stop in and see what they have. I assume Last Call & Saks Off 5th will have better quality clothing than the premium outlets is this correct? What should I keep an eye out for at Last Call & Saks Off 5th?

OinkBoink

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out at the premium outlet for sales as many suggested. I have also heard many great things about Last Call & Saks Off 5th so I will stop in and see what they have. I assume Last Call & Saks Off 5th will have better quality clothing than the premium outlets is this correct? What should I keep an eye out for at Last Call & Saks Off 5th?

I'm not that crazy about either. Although I did find a nice pair of To Boot NY dress shoes as Off Fifth the other day for $100 (regularly $300). They just never have anything that seems to fit me. I bought a Saks Black Label (their house brand) bridge coat from Off Fifth for 70% off the other day, but had to order it from another store because they didn't have my size. It was still to short and I had to return it.

But if you're not freakishly tall like me, they both have good selections of a wide variety of clothes for men and women. They have sales, too, so check their websites.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye out at the premium outlet for sales as many suggested. I have also heard many great things about  Last Call & Saks Off 5th so I will stop in and see what they have. I assume Last Call & Saks Off 5th will have better quality clothing than the premium outlets is this correct? What should I keep an eye out for at Last Call & Saks Off 5th? 

In Florida, Last Call & Saks Off 5th are part of the Premium Outlets, so you really just have to visit one place. Also try Nordstom Rack, i have found some gems there, like Canali dress shirts and trousers. They also have some nice Robert Talbott ties for cheap, you really just have to know what you are looking for and weed through the sea of fashion label wears.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TylerD, for my own needs, the only stores worth visiting at the Aurora outlet are BB, Ferragamo as I have found some gems in the past ($30 BB Lux shirts, $120 BB Fitz full canvas SC, $5 Psquares, Tramezza line shoes for $120...once, I found a couple RLPL shirts from the Polo store for $50. The J&M store has some dead stocks (US made) items which I think are great for the price.
The rest on the brands you listed are all made for outlet lines that they sell. You'll be better off at the Nordie Rack and Off Fifth @ Schaumburg or the Last Call at Gurnee Mills.

hikari013

Reaction score

TylerD, for my own needs, the only stores worth visiting at the Aurora outlet are BB, Ferragamo as I have found some gems in the past ($30 BB Lux shirts, $120 BB Fitz full canvas SC, $5 Psquares, Tramezza line shoes for $120...once, I found a couple RLPL shirts from the Polo store for $50. The J&M store has some dead stocks (US made) items which I think are great for the price.
The rest on the brands you listed are all made for outlet lines that they sell. You'll be better off at the Nordie Rack and Off Fifth @ Schaumburg or the Last Call at Gurnee Mills.

+1. The BB at Aurora seems to have a selection of real stuff most of the time. Other BB outlets I have been to were exclusively 346 crap.

I've heard the Michigan City outlet mall is ok, but i've never been. Anyone else been there? Pleasant Prairie up in Wisconsin was a big waste of time. Too bad because its close to Gurnee Mills which has the Last Call and is worth going to.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. The BB at Aurora seems to have a selection of real stuff most of the time. Other BB outlets I have been to were exclusively 346 crap.
I've heard the Michigan City outlet mall is ok, but i've never been. Anyone else been there? Pleasant Prairie up in Wisconsin was a big waste of time. Too bad because its close to Gurnee Mills which has the Last Call and is worth going to.

I've been to the Michigan City one, its pretty small, but you can find some decent things at the BB outlet. Its not worth driving out to, but if you are passing by its definitely worth a visit. There is a Burberry Clearance center and a RL Factory store too. Again not worth driving there unless its on your way to somewhere else

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads