• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Premium" but not raw jeans for less than $200

Jl24

Reaction score
Ok, the only experience I have with premium jeans are diesels. What other brands can I delve into that are not raw denim? I like my jeans to have some whiskering, details but I am not hardcore enough to buy a pair of raw denim and make my own jeans.

I see all these brands being thrown around, but I don't know which are raw and which are one-wash.
Are there any recommendations for "ready-to-wear" jeans that are slim in the thighs but then drop straight down in a straight leg?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you - I'm a newbie switching over from brands like diesel and 7/mankind... but I did get my first pair of APC's and am really happy with them. I got skinny ones but maybe you would like the Rescues?
http://www.apc.fr/us/en/homme_jeans.php

Everyone seems to rave about Nudies. I just noticed yoox is having a 50% off sale on two pairs of non-raw nudies - maybe one fits you?
http://www1.yoox.com/searchresult.as.../m/2545/toll/A

and don't forget the buy/sell threads here and on SuFu - you can get some pretty sweet deals on otherwise > $200 jeans and some are already broken in and wiskered.

JohnnyRed

Reaction score
I got some Ernest Sewns on the other SF for really cheap, and they have very tasteful pre-distressing. I also have a pair of 1921 that have nice, very subtle pre-distressing, but they're raw and the only marks are faint whiskers and honeycombs.

Also, look for people selling their old pairs of raw, that have been broken in and distressed.

edit: Ernest, not Edwin Sewn!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earnest Sewn does better washes than pretty much anyone (honestly, even 45rpm bores me to death, as far as that goes). APC's washes are quite weak (I've seen better at Gap), and Nudie's aren't particularly impressive either (though they're certainly better). Drizzt said that 5EP's washes are good, and I suppose you could always buy a raw pair that fits you and send it to an industrial wash, though that may require money and/or connections. I've never looked into it that far.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'd vote for Earnest Sewn. You can usually find good prices on them (around the low $100's) and they feel/look nicer than most distressed pairs you find out there.

I don't mind dry Nudies but their distressed stuff feels really cheap.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
and I suppose you could always buy a raw pair that fits you and send it to an industrial wash, though that may require money and/or connections. I've never looked into it that far.

I actually have access to an industrial wash.... pardon my ignorance but what type of results would that produce?

lowrey

Reaction score
I'm also gonna say earnest sewn. some of their washes are really clean, not over done. also some of the cuts are nice too, you should be able to find something you like for a reasonable price.

jcrew923

Reaction score
+1 for earnest sewns
picked up a pair a couple weeks ago
the wash is a little busy but for the price i didn't have a choice
hutchbmx.jpg

the ones on the right

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never handled them personally, but I really like the 5EP pre-washed jeans. Very natural and subtle. Second choice would be a pair of tastefully washed Diesels, of which there are many, or a lighter washed Earnest Sewn, such as the Milk Blue. I don't care much for the Maz Dark wash.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they've come up, but Corpus usually gets props around here, including from in-the-know folks like Fok and Krell. Revolve is having a crazy sale on some of their older cuts, which are great if you have a shorter inseam; if you don't, their stuff is still under $200 at full retail.

ENT

Reaction score
I'll also throw in my vote for Earnest Sewns. I have the Hutch in 3 washes (05 Milk Blue, 06 Maz Dark, and 59 Hyper Vintage Dark) and love all of them. The fit is perfect for me.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anything from Diesel that stood a chance against anything from Earnest Sewn. Diesel, like G Star, has the occasional interesting outwerwear piece, but mostly, I find them rather boring.

raley

Reaction score
I have a nice pair of ES Hutch in the Maz Dark, and before everyone went on the dry denim craze the PDC GTO (the old version) was probably the most popular pair of jeans around here.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Corpus does make some really nice pre-washed jeans. I'd also recommend Iron Army Hiro Ito washed jeans. Very, very nice fit on those.

Jl24

Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I decided to take the plunge and try out ES Hemingway for $80 shipped ... hope they fit
lookaround.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads