• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Premature White Hair

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have it? My friends started noticing at age 15 or so and its gotten worse ever since. Its not terrible as my head isn't white but you do notice if you stare at my head, dont notice if you dont really concentrate on it. Nevertheless, its pretty ****** that I'm starting to go grey at the tender age of 20.

Kd88

Reaction score
Tom Cruise looked good in Collateral.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a few since I was 16-17, it's progressed very slowly since then. It seems like it has picked up a bit in the last year or so. I really don't mind. I'll be glad to have grey hair as long as I keep most of it.

moosy

Reaction score
I was in the same boat until it became noticable enough for me to be bothered.
I now dye my hair once a month. Makes ME feel better. Anyone I have ever dated thought I look better with my gaying hair.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Started noticing mine going grey when I was a senior in high school, slowly been getting a little grayer every year since...was frustrating at first then I just got used to it.

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by moosy
... I look better with my gaying hair.

Haha. Funny typo.

As an aside, if a guy is over 40 and is trying to dye over the grey, it always looks weird and obvious. The youthful color doesn't match the wrinkly face. In fact, it looks...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been salt and pepper since I was 20. I got used to it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's caused by stress. When I was really stressed out at work I started getting gray hairs and I was only 23.

For those of you that color, how natural-looking is it? How much of a hassle? Does it rub off on the collars of your shirts?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I colour my GF's hair. It looks fairly natural if spread evenly and done in the pre-greying natural hair colour. It doesn't stain. And she looks good. If it was me though, I wouldn't. I think a man with greying hair can look distinguished (as they say).

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
The root of every strand of hair is surrounded by a tube of tissue under the skin that is called the hair follicle. Each hair follicle contains a certain number of pigment cells. These pigment cells continuously produce a chemical called melanin that gives the growing shaft of hair its color of brown, blonde, red, and anything in between.

Melanin is the same stuff that makes our skin's color fair or darker. It also helps determine whether a person will burn or tan in the sun. The dark or light color of someone's hair depends on how much melanin each hair contains.

As we get older, the pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die. When there are fewer pigment cells in a hair follicle, that strand of hair will no longer contain as much melanin and will become a more transparent color - like gray, silver, or white - as it grows. As people continue to get older, fewer pigment cells will be around to produce melanin. Eventually, the hair will look completely gray.

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age - as early as when they are in high school or college - whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes. This means that most of us will start having gray hairs around the same age that our parents or grandparents first did.

breakdown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freefinancialadvice
This means that most of us will start having gray hairs around the same age that our parents or grandparents first did.
Not true for me. I started graying about 10 years earlier than my sisters and parents did. So I can only assume the stress of NYC life caused it. They're all shocked that I have so much gray in my 20s. I die mine sometimes, right now it's not though. I feel like if it was MORE gray, it'd be distinct, if it was less, it'd be insignificant. It's at a weird in between stage, and sometimes I hate it since I have jet black hair. It looks like I have glitter or dirt in my hair or something.

aerether

Reaction score
I had a lot of grey hair when I was 14. It got a little better over the years, but it's begun to return (18 now).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it happens early in life, it might not be for the normal reason. Smoking, for example, can speed up graying. Various causes are listed here. Also, men generally gray sooner than women, due probably in part to androgens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads