• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Preferred Soles for Shoes

bsarosi

Reaction score
I only came across one post on this and not a whole lot of information was provided so I figured I'd raise it to the forum.

I know most of the high-end shoemakers use leather soles. However, some cobblers I've used recommend putting rubber soles on to prevent slipping and keep water from being absorbed. (Also prevents holes building in the leather soles, although I would just re-sole at that point)

Anyways, are there any other pros to putting the rubber soles on? And do those who prefer the leather soles have specific reasons (or just preference)?

In other words, what are the pros and cons for each? As usual, I assume it comes down to preference for most, but figured maybe there's some further explanation.

Thanks in advance for your input.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
personally, (and this just my humble opinion) Rubber soles shouldnt be worn with a suit....just me. Leather soles can easily be replaced when worn out...and if you are properly rotating them, they will probably out last you.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer plates and wheels on my shoes, but they are illegal in many and frowned upon in most places.

W.R.

Reaction score
When comparing the two you'll find that rubber soles are superior in everything (except, maybe, that shoes with leather soles will "breathe" better). However, aesthetically, leather soles are to prefer.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always preferred leather soles unless it was a more casual shoe, then Vibram has some very nice soles.

However, I recently bought a couple of pair of Allen Edmonds Executive Collection shoes. They have a rubber sole, but it is a great design. The rubber sole is only the piece that is usually leather. The heels are still the stacked leather with rubber top. So from the side, it looks just like a leather sole.

And you get the comfort, durability, and water resistance of rubber.

Just my take on this subject.

Chris

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer leather soles on shoes. Rubber is for sneakers which I wear, too.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I like to reserve my rubber sole shoes for poor weather and casual shoes. I hate it when I am wearing leather soled dress shoes and it is raining outside.

GBer

Reaction score
Leather in the city. Rubber for bad weather & older cities with bad pavement or cobblestone streets

Lots of walking? Recommend rubber for comfort. Heard of double and triple leather soles, but have never tried.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Can anyone elaborate more on what topys/vibrams are? It looks like a thin rubber (??) layer over the sole. Am I correct? And is it designed to do the same things as a rubber sole i.e. protect the shoes from water/wearing? Or is there some added benefit to having them?

Appreciate all the responses so far.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.