• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PREFERENCE: Naturaly shoulder vs. moderately padded shoulder

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a sample of the Benjamin Sartorial "Napoli" natural shoulder model in a suit... almost no shoulder padding. What do you guys think? Too casual of a shoulder for a suit? I like it but I'm curious to hear what you gents have to say.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seems entirely reasonable to me.

I'm actually in the midst of weighing bald vs natural for a fresco suit with patch pockets, so I'll be following the responses to your query closely.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a sample of the Benjamin Sartorial "Napoli" natural shoulder model in a suit... almost no shoulder padding. What do you guys think? Too casual of a shoulder for a suit? I like it but I'm curious to hear what you gents have to say.

I am a purist. That is not a natural shoulder. I have a wonderful Isaia suit purchased from eHaberdasher
in '07, I believe. It is the now discontinued "Stuart" model, i think. I had my tailor remove the "minimal padding",
which was less than the example shown above.

CaymanS

Reaction score
I agree with Comrade - I think you could get by with even less padding. But it looks very promising. Apart from the sleeve length, it looks damn near perfect. Zegna has been moving toward a natural shoulder, as have others. I think it's going to start to be an industry standard. The overdone padding is flattering on very few builds.

kasakka

Reaction score
Shoulder looks fine, though I think a different sleeve attachment (slightly roped if there is such a thing) would look better here. Not a fan of the absurd gorge and high buttoning point though.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually pretty interested in why people (especially those across the pond) prefer unpadded/natural shoulders. Is there a particular reason -- is this perhaps, a logical progression from Brooks Brothers' sack coats that one wears in university?

To a certain extent, Yes. Many of us grew up with the "Ivy" League look. For several decades, 50s and 60s it was the national
elite standard style. Prior to that it was the style of the Eastern WASP elite and it's branches in such places as Chicago and
San Francisco. My style has evolved over the years, but I have always retained the natural shoulder preference. It also happens
to suit my build.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Natural doesn't mean unpadded. The recent fad for non-existent shoulder padding is out of control. A lot of guys benefit from a bit of pad, and some of the unstructured stuff that's become the fashion on SF and the blogosphere lately looks positively shlumpy.

I like a lightly padded natural shoulder, but the pendulum's swung to an extreme -- never a good sign.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty interested in why people (especially those across the pond) prefer unpadded/natural shoulders. Is there a particular reason -- is this perhaps, a logical progression from Brooks Brothers' sack coats that one wears in university?

I just really like the feel of them. Also, I have the right shoulders for it.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I worked for Grieco Brothers back in the early to mid 90's when they were making for Brooks Brothers, Southwick, PRL and Paul Stuart - probably why I prefer the softer shoulder. I'm living here in London now and really don't like the shoulders in general here... but who knows if I'm here long enough maybe it'll grow on me.

Crimson Red

Reaction score
As an ivy/prep/madmen [FONT=helvetica neue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]enthusiastist,[/FONT] I prefer natural shoulder. I dislike padded shoulder. I have studied in London for years but padded shoulder, spread collar, cutaway collar, windsor knot never grow on me.

Back in Thailand, there is sort of pad fetish among suit tailoring which I think it is totally horrible.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Far too casual for any real businessman.

Contrary to popular culture, The typical english is even too soft for me.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
Lol at "real businessman" tag. Good one

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads