• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

precious metal collar stays

anyone here interested in precious metal collar stays in either gold or platinum?

• yes, I am interested - in solid gold (14 kt or 18 kt) collar stays

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • yes, I am interested - in platinum collar stays

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • yes, I am interested - in both gold and platinum collar stays

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • interested in neither

Votes: 52 91.2%

• Total voters

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone here use precious metal collar stays? gold, platinum?

any interest here on SF for having some made? what sizing do most prefer - 2.5" long?

I am working with a bespoke jeweler on this project, basing the dimensions on finamore / barba collar stays.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously? These have fallen out on me before. I wouldn't want to risk losing them. Besides, no one sees them, so what difference does it make what metal they are made out of?

What is the rate for a set? 2k?

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have your jeweller make them of stainless steel for a number of reasons

1. wont rust
2. still very heavy
3. cheap to replace if they get lost
4. robust, will last a long time.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason that a MTM operation like MyTailor would use brass? They look kind of ugly. Stainless steel would be nice.

Xenon

Reaction score
In theory this really sounds nice but in practice you can't see them yourself so the metal goes unappreciated. I once considered making some myself out of silver. I even bought a thin sheet of silver 925 but never got around to making them.

Tbh I don't even use stays anymore and particularly find rigid metal stays a little unforgiving on high end cotons.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could do what I just did and buy eight sets of varying length in brass from Joseph A. Bank for $7.50 during the most recent sale.

Call me an idiot.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Only Willy Loman-ish schmucks wear collar stays.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of silver ones I purchased on sale from Charles Tyrwhitt a couple of years ago, but have only worn them a couple of times. Fact is, no ones going to see them, and if you lose one it will be costly to replace. I only bought them because they were on sale.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I made some sterling silver collar stays for my little brother last Christmas. They are pretty things and not worth so much that losing one is a disaster. Maybe I'm just a small timer but anything more precious is a little bling (and a bit scary to wear) IMHO...

Charlie

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason that a MTM operation like MyTailor would use brass? They look kind of ugly. Stainless steel would be nice.

Stainless steel does not look better because no one can see them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads