• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

precious metal collar stays

anyone here interested in precious metal collar stays in either gold or platinum?

• yes, I am interested - in solid gold (14 kt or 18 kt) collar stays

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • yes, I am interested - in platinum collar stays

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • yes, I am interested - in both gold and platinum collar stays

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • interested in neither

Votes: 52 91.2%

• Total voters

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol Jakela

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Precious metal stays are a waste. Just because they cost more doesn't mean they're better. Rhodium, gold, platinum stays fall in the 'i buy this because i can' category. I use plastic stays as they help with shape and they are very flexible not to mention disposable.

If I am to drop money down on stays it better have a story to tell. Gold and all are boring. I'd drop some money on stays out of t-Rex bones or something actually interesting, otherwise I'll stock with the plastics.

Would also consider magnesium stays so I can burn them when I get bored.

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
I saw some stays on eBay a couple of days ago which were made of ferromagnetic metal and came with tiny but powerful magnets.

The idea was to use as normal collar stays, and have the magnet inside the shirt to have the same effect as a button down shirt does to the collar shape without actually having the ugly buttons.

I thought that was quite a nice little idea for collar stays. I may even buy a pair.

But otherwise I just use plastic ones.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Collar stays shouldn't be used in the first place. Nothing is worse than a straight-lined collar. If you need them to keep your collar points put, then your problem is your shirt and shirtmaker. Invest in those instead.

2. If forced to wear a collar stay, metal of any sort is the worst material to choose. You want something pliable so that your collar has shape without looking like cardboard.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Collar stays shouldn't be used in the first place. Nothing is worse than a straight-lined collar. If you need them to keep your collar points put, then your problem is your shirt and shirtmaker. Invest in those instead.
2. If forced to wear a collar stay, metal of any sort is the worst material to choose. You want something pliable so that your collar has shape without looking like cardboard.

Disagree completely

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've trimmed many of my stays down to about one inch in length so they keep the tip from curling outward while still allowing the nature of the fabric to do its thing.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

I am confused now more than ever.

Foo has spoken.

Everything I have been told is a lie!

:paranoia:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Disagree completely

Your shirtmaker makes you collars with slots for collar stays? Then I judge your shirtmaker.

I've trimmed many of my stays down to about one inch in length so they keep the tip from curling outward while still allowing the nature of the fabric to do its thing.

Why are everyone's collar points curling at all? Like I said, if you need collar stays, something is wrong with your shirts. Collar points should be long enough to disappear underneath the inside roll of your jacket lapels. Everything between that point and the collar band should be allowed to curve naturally. If the collar doesn't look right when allowed to do that, then the collar is a bad.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
I am confused now more than ever.
Foo has spoken.
Everything I have been told is a lie!
:paranoia:

One Foo to rule them all.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

your opinion

agreed

Last edited:

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Is there a particular reason that a MTM operation like MyTailor would use brass? They look kind of ugly. Stainless steel would be nice.

Yes, because it is a softer metal that is easier to work with.

Or you could do what I just did and buy eight sets of varying length in brass from Joseph A. Bank for $7.50 during the most recent sale.
Call me an idiot.

Yes, sounds quite a good idea.

Agreed. Stainless steel would look better.
6241.gif

Yes Stainless Steel feels a lot better than brass, and also does not stink.

As a jeweler who wears collar stays with my suit every day, I think this is ridiculous.

What is rediculous, wearing cheap collar stays?

Stainless steel does not look better because no one can see them.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...nt_Id=210&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
these are good enough for me. $695 for solid gold collar stays is just silly

I have seen these and this is more or less what I use. I have a couple of pair in brass that are even slightly heavier, I think they were from Thomas Pink.

But yes, precious metal collar stays are kind of a waste of money. I toyed with the idea of some silver ones but talked myself out of it. They must be a really bad idea as this does not happen very often.

Two things, though. First, stay far away from cheap metal stays as they often have sharp/rough edges that will wreck your collar. Second, when traveling in the U.S., metal collar stays + TSA = PITA. First, you will may have a very hard time making it through the metal detector. Second, if you put them in your carry-on, there is about a 50% chance that the airport screener will think they look like little bullets and will rip your bag apart looking for them. If I am traveling with metal collar stay in the U.S. I never wear them in a shirt and I stick them in the see-through plastic bag with the liquids so, at least, there is less to tear apart.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yo you best getz dat colla game right young'un

Get yo colla game figure out, bitches be linin up like it aint no thAnG

Son i gotst that platinnum colla stayz, gotst that gucci ****, gotst dat prada ****.. bitchez be sukkin on my hang low cuz i a true pimp and dey reckanize. dey be all like awww **** dat playa rite there he gotst his collar game all set, like he a grown ass mothafukkin mane, wearin a grown ass mothafukkin biznizz suit

****, yall dudes think i be jokin shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit i aint jokin.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, because it is a softer metal that is easier to work with.
Yes, sounds quite a good idea.
What is rediculous, wearing cheap collar stays?

Maybe its just me, but I don't think I have ever smelled "off" odors coming from my brass collar stays (or any odor at all, for that matter). Is this a common problem?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why are everyone's collar points curling at all? Like I said, if you need collar stays, something is wrong with your shirts. Collar points should be long enough to disappear underneath the inside roll of your jacket lapels. Everything between that point and the collar band should be allowed to curve naturally. If the collar doesn't look right when allowed to do that, then the collar is a bad.

I understand that, but I have to wear a different coat once I get to work which does not cover the points of my collar. The question is if that is still not an excuse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads