• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-shave oil brand

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
I've been using a drugstore brand pre-shave oil lately and I'm finding that it helps me get a closer shave. However, it has menthol in it which irritates my skin a bit. Would I be better off using something cheap like olive oil? Is it worth it to spend ~$20US on something from Art of Shaving?

PHV

Reaction score
I've been using a drugstore brand pre-shave oil lately and I'm finding that it helps me get a closer shave. However, it has menthol in it which irritates my skin a bit. Would I be better off using something cheap like olive oil? Is it worth it to spend ~$20US on something from Art of Shaving?
Depending on skin type, something like from AoS is very good. Some others here have recommended some cheaper brands, but AoS is still a good bet.

by the way, where in Ontario are you? I did my final english paper in high school on cancer ward...

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I tried a sample of a pre-shave oil from Caswell-Massey that got high marks from a leading men's magazine, plus it's cheaper than Art of Shaving's. Â If it will work on my ingrown hairs and nappy beard, there's hope for almost anyone:
1752almondshvoil-sm.jpg
1752 Preshave Oil

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I use Avid's SkinGlider which works great - I also have an order in for Pacific Shaving Oil which garners great reviews on the wetshaving fora.

Panzer

Mr Checks

Reaction score
As a result of the "badger brush" thread, I bought the AoS kit, and I'm amazed at how the pre-shave oil helps with the shave (and helps w/ avoiding stubble, nicks, etc).

I've just used up the sandalwood oil that came with my set, and I like it so much I've very reluctant to change. I think the $20/bottle cost is pretty reasonable for how long it lasts and how well it works.

ROT

Reaction score
The basis for most of these is an olive oil, sweet almond oil or the like. When I'm tapped, I will use plain olive oil and it works just fine. Don't even spring for the cold-pressed Extra Virgin.

I do like the aromatherapy effect of my lavander oil from AoS though.A few drops of essence of whatever work well in the olive oil, FYI. I'm soaking lavander from the garden in oil now to see if I can get the same effect.

Don't forget about a good quality soap or cream -- lots of moisturizing agent, fats, etc. If it lists alcohol, try something else.

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
All great suggestions, I think I'll give either the Skinglider or the AOS oil a try. I know they sell the AOS products at Holt's on Bloor.

PHV, I live in the suburbs of Toronto. Seems like there are a lot of Canadians on this board.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I've used the AoS Preshave oil for a couple of years and really enjoy it. I've recently run out and haven't yet picked up a new bottle, but this being the second thread in less than an hour that I've mentioned it on (on two separate forums none the less) I think I might order a new bottle tomorrow.

It's worth the money. I bought a bottle of the version for sensitive skin in March 2004 and it lasted until late 2005/early 2006.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't use shave oil, but Pacific Shaving Oil seems to be highly regarded. The bottle is small yes, but I hear a little goes a very long way. If you like menthol, you can try out the Proraso Pre shave from Target. It is not exactly oil, more like a thick moisturizing paste, but it is Proraso, and that makes it great. (I have some Pre cream that I actually prefer using as an aftershave) http://www.pacificshaving.com/ PS solz....I don't know how well I'd trust shaving oil coming into contact with a brush....proceed with caution if you use one.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using eShave's Almond Pre-Shave oil. Like you, I initially used a drugstore brand with menthol (King of Shaves, perhaps?), but started using the eShave early this year. I'm a fan, but at $19, it's a bit steep. The good thing is that it's in a large enough quantity (2 oz) that you won't need to by more for a while. I've also used L'Occitaine's oil, but only through the samples, so I can't attest to its price.
Be Better Guys Be Better Guys

heartworm

Reaction score
I don't find it very useful. Are you using the oil alone or with lather? I use Nancy Boy pre-shave oil that I got for free right now, but the effect is definately not worth the price of 20$ or so. Better preparation is much more effective.

coachvu

Reaction score
It's not cheap, but I think Trumper's coral skin food is excellent. A few stores in the U.S. sell it, but you can also order direct from them. Also, they have an amazing customer service department. A brand new bottle broke in my bag on the way back from England, and they sent me a replacement within 4 days, no charge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads