• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre SF travels and health and weight

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was looking for a picture of myself and the Appreciation actress Victoria Paris.

I couldn't find it, but I found these photos and scanned them (they were all taken on a Nikon film camera).

It surprised me seeing myself pre SF and the changes in my style preferences and unfortunately my weight
frown.gif

These pre SF photos were taken about 2001 to 2005. Then I joined SF and put on 30 Lbs! It's all your fault and you guys fattened me up. Anyway, I'm in the midst of a diet and I've lost 20+ Lbs
laugh.gif

I'm close to posting in WAYWRN, but I'm not ready yet.

Anyway here are pre SF pictures::

IMG_0002.jpg

Me and a blonde friend I'm still friendly with.
Here she is currently:

IMG-2.jpg

This is at St. Arnold's Brewery in Houston Texas about 2001. It's a micro-brewery not named for me but pretty well known in Houston. The vintage Rolls Royce is their trademark car.

IMG_0001.jpg

More pics at the brewery

IMG_0003.jpg

Me in Paris doing the tourist thing! About November, 2003

IMG-1.jpg

Me in Paris looking at a vintage Porsche 356. This is right outside a friend's art gallery. And I'm not bald, but I'm wearing a yarmulke in the picture.

IMG_0004.jpg

Me in Hong Kong, with the skyline behind me, taken about 2005. Note the fanny pack!!! I hope Jlibourel sees this and comments.

IMG_0009.jpg

Me taking a richshaw ride at the foot of downtown Hong Kong. This was fun.

IMG_0005.jpg

Here I am in the Chinese hinterlands buying some local carvings. I still have a bunch, and I'll try to take some pictures of the native Chinese work if anyone is interested. This is completely unlike the crap at Walmart and such. Note my bespoke Edward Green sandals
laugh.gif
They're really Birckenstock sandals.

IMG_0007.jpg

This my favorite. I got to fly in my friend's helicopter and he let me co-pilot it (though I did nothing) and would have been scared shitless without him at the controls.

IMG_0006.jpg

Here I am at the controls, sort of!

I've got tons of these pre SF film pictures that I could scan. I'm no Full Canvass by any means but some of the pictures are quite interesting. A lot of Houston people and oil related stuff from an era that has ended.

Thanks to all.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Those socks look like I pair I just got from Carolina Artisans.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you posted this.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Then I joined SF and put on 30 Lbs!

IMG_0005.jpg

Here I am in the Chinese hinterlands

Looks like you needed the weight gain. You are the guy on the right, aren't you?
laugh.gif

I enjoy the pictures. Hopefully the oil business will be going through another good era, since I just accepted a job at an exploration company.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You REALLY REALLY REALLY need to step up your casual wear, it is appaling

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i'm surprised you didn't destroy the SF server with this one!
tounge.gif

Fanny pack? Check.

Jean shorts? Check.

Socks with birkenstocks? Check and check.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I don't understand why you posted this.

Well off the top of my head I posted this because of health and weight issues. And to show my pre SF style consciousness and hopefully later on my next trip I'll show to where it's progressed.

Why did you read the thread may I ask?

Originally Posted by constant struggle
You REALLY REALLY REALLY need to step up your casual wear, it is appaling

Pre-SF man. Pre-SF!

Originally Posted by sonick
Fanny pack? Check.

Jean shorts? Check.

This was "PRE-SF" and that's the point.

Is that against the rules?
laugh.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont know what to say, all i know is you must have come a long way, cause i think that is about as bad as it gets

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont know what to say, all i know is you must have come a long way, cause i think that is about as bad as it gets

What are you saying?

I was the ugly American
laugh.gif

Hey Guys, I never professed to be a style maven pre-SF. Let me lose my last 10 Lbs. and then judge away!

I know you will all be brutally honest
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Well off the top of my head I posted this because of health and weight issues. And to show my pre SF style consciousness and hopefully later on my next trip I'll show to where it's progressed.

Why did you read the thread may I ask?

Pre-SF man. Pre-SF!

This was "PRE-SF" and that's the point.

Is that against the rules?
laugh.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

We keeed, we keed!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It was worse in the 1990s.

I used to be a buddy of Harlon Crow in Dallas.

He's a wonderful guy and a real history buff, particularly on the Civil War.

Here is the yacht he had back then:

IMG_0006-1.jpg

It was supposedly one of the nicest yachts in the USA. I still dressed as a slob on it.

And here is his Dad Trammell Crow at an annual Easter Party. That is Trammell and my nephew Walt and I'm taking the picture. Note how well Trammell is dressed. I was in shorts and birkenstocks and Harlan was in an Easter Bunny costume that day.

IMG_0007-1.jpg

Trammell Crow is truly one of the remarkable men of the 20th century. Again. if you like history, Wow! He told me the story of how he was waiting for JFK at his trade center the day that JFK was assassinated in 1963. Trammell also had a traditional and very nice Christmas party for many years given on Xmas eve at his home on Preston. I attended it and dressed better but not to the standards I would now.

As in many things, I look at style as a series of improvements and a journey. Not a destination.

If I get a chance, I'll post some pictures of the Chinese wood sculptor's work too. He was remarkable in his own way. Somehow he had learned English and he regaled me with stories of Chairman Mao.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
rnoldh, awesome post, great to see someone have the nads to post their "pre-enlightenment" era (everyone acts like they were born wearing the hottest ****
rolleyes.gif
). The Birkenstock pic is classic. Your friend is quite nice. I also was not aware that you had met GetSmart (rickshaw driver) prior to SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads