• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-Owned Porsche Purchase

Lucky7

Reaction score
I am in the market for a CPO sports car. I am looking for a 1-2 year old car with less than 25k miles on the odometer. I have looked at the 911 and Cayman. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these? I am looking for good reliability, and service. The car will be driven on nice days, and garaged when not in use. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I am in the market for a CPO sports car. I am looking for a 1-2 year old car with less than 25k miles on the odometer. I have looked at the 911 and Cayman. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these? I am looking for good reliability, and service. The car will be driven on nice days, and garaged when not in use. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How long do you plan on keeping it?

Cayman shouldn't be underestimated when compared to the 911; although it's true that it is no 911T

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
How long do you plan on keeping it?

Cayman shouldn't be underestimated when compared to the 911; although it's true that it is no 911T

I plan on keeping the car for probably 3 years, but who knows what may come up. It could be 2 years, or it may very well be 5. I'm going to pay cash for it, so I am not really worried about being upside down when I go to sell it. I do, however, like the fact that Porsche does retain its value well. If I went the 911 route, it would not be the turbo.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out your local Porsche owners clubs. Members are always buying and selling and the cars are usually very well cared for.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either car would be fine choices, depending on what you're looking for.

I have a Cayman, and think it's one of the great sports cars available today. Many friends have 911s of various vintages, and love them as well. They drive them pretty hard (track schools), and the cars hold up well. Maintenance is ungodly expensive if you're used to normal cars, but the cars are reliable for what they are: low-volume production, high-performance sports cars.

Like any other car, Porsches have their issues, and two good places to do research are Rennlist and Planet Porsche. Good luck, and let us know how it goes or if you have other questions.

--Andre

Bellum

Reaction score
My daily driver is a 911 Targa and it's terrific. If you don't plan to track then check it out. Dealer cost of CPO is $2k but the extra 2 years of warranty is worth it in my opinion.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to save a little money, you can put a turbo kit in a Cayman for about 10k. I have a friend that went this route and has a car pushing 911 territory.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cayman is a very nice drivers car. Not the best looking, best preforming car in the world, but it handles very well and can be fun to drive.

GQDerek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
cayman is a very nice drivers car. Not the best looking, best preforming car in the world, but it handles very well and can be fun to drive.

stfu

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

I have a Cayman, and think it's one of the great sports cars available today. Many friends have 911s of various vintages, and love them as well. They drive them pretty hard (track schools), and the cars hold up well. Maintenance is ungodly expensive if you're used to normal cars, but the cars are reliable for what they are: low-volume production, high-performance sports cars.

Like any other car, Porsches have their issues, and two good places to do research are Rennlist and Planet Porsche. Good luck, and let us know how it goes or if you have other questions.

--Andre

I know how maintenance goes with imports, it's just one of those things that you pay a premium for. Have you had any issues with your Cayman such as hatch rattles?

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
If you want to save a little money, you can put a turbo kit in a Cayman for about 10k. I have a friend that went this route and has a car pushing 911 territory.

For 10k I would just buy a 911. I have not sworn off the 911 at all. It is definately a contender.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

I would not do that. The packaging in the engine compartment is pretty tight already. Generating extra heat with a turbo in there is just asking for trouble, and I don't think the engine's the best candidate for turbocharging if you want it to last for a while.

If you want go-fast mods, you should always go to driving schools first. Later on, you can put an exhaust, software, and plenum (like Softronic's) and net about 30 to 40 HP for around $3K. That's for the original Cayman. No one has mods for the new Cayman revisions that just came out.

--Andre

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

--Andre

This might sound silly, but the fact that the 911 has somewhat of a backseat is a very appealing factor. I would like to take the car to the beach on weekends, and having room for my dog is a plus. If not, we would be taking (2) cars...the girlfriend would be driving separate.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I know how maintenance goes with imports, it's just one of those things that you pay a premium for. Have you had any issues with your Cayman such as hatch rattles?

I thought my BMW was expensive, but the Porsche took it to another whole level. Expect to pay, for example, over $200 for an oil change. Even if you DIY, the materials are pretty expensive, and you'll be paying well over $100 for those alone.

I have a rattle coming from the seatbelt buckle rattling against the seat, but my hatch doesn't have the hatch rattle. I think Porsche has a fix out for that if you experience it. So far, the car's been reliable and trouble-free (knocks on wood), but it's still pretty new. It's a 2008 with about 17K miles on it, albeit with a bunch of that on the track.

The only issue I've had with it are the tire-pressure sensors going crazy a couple of times, but I don't think that's specific to Porsche.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads