• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-marital spending spree

Bean Counter

Reaction score
So, the nuptuals are 7 weeks away
bigstar[1].gif
and I feel as though I've had this urge to spend a lot more on myself than I do on average over the past few months. Since we got engaged, I've purchased a new car, and have done some serious wardrobe upgrading (4 suits, 4 SC's, a plethera of pants, shirts, ties, shoes, etc.).

I do feel that part of it was I neglected staying on top of my style game for a couple years after I purchased a house and had to spend money on furniture and renos so I was due for a wardrobe upgrade, but the other part of me says that I'm also doing it because its the last time my money will truly be "mine". I'm no advocate for 50% split of every penny earned, in fact, we will be keeping our own accounts and the money I earn will still theoretically be mine, but there will definitely be more 'joint' decision making on where we spend our collective disposable income.

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you went through similar feelings or impulses pre-marriage, or am I just trying to justify my B&S binging
lol8[1].gif
?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might cause her to raise some eyebrows and you don't want to go overboard, because things do go out of style. That said, this is a style forum, so we generally applaud money spent on wardrobe!!! The average American probably pays about $40 on jeans while here $175 is considered inexpensive.

Bradden

Reaction score
Just remember that your soon to be wife will mimic your spending habits by a factor of 5. If you think the " Well I got you an $$$$ engagement ring" works... it doesn't.

You will also do this before your first child is born, This will include golf clubs, home theatre, BBQ or any other man toy you require since once little Miss or Mister is born you will be regarded as an ass if you spend any money on yourself.

Then you will wait for mid life crisis...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Methinks that you subconsciously (or consciously) think your life is about to be over
teacha.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this has been the story of my life post college. enjoy it; just dont go in debt buying clothes and stupid ****. this thread reminds me of the one guy who dropped 10k on clothes while his wife was away for a few months. he didnt tell her and was seeking advice from SF as to how go about dealing with the problem. where did that thread go?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
this has been the story of my life post college. enjoy it; just dont go in debt buying clothes and stupid ****. this thread reminds me of the one guy who dropped 10k on clothes while his wife was away for a few months. he didnt tell her and was seeking advice from SF as to how go about dealing with the problem. where did that thread go?

That was an awesome thread. If I recall, his ultimate decision was to put all the clothes in storage and then slowly introduce them into his life a piece at a time so it wasn't a sudden shock to her. What a putz.

Bean Counter

Reaction score
Haha - I read that thread. In no way am I close to that, nor am I going into debt over this - I just may have leaned more towards putting extra cash in savings before this. I'm committed to getting back on track with my normal savings routine once we are back from our honeymoon
wink.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of church shoes right before proposing to my wife, and when i heard my firstborn was on the way. in the same idea.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have spent so much money in the last few weeks, i think nothing of it. 18 days to go!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
spending spree before marriage, okay.

whoreing spree before marriage, not okay.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went a little crazy shopping in the months leading-up to my wedding - getting all the 'toys' and guy stuff I thought I needed before we shared our finances and I felt the need to 'justify' my frivolous wants. I have no regrets.
smile.gif

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would too. I'd buy a Porsche, a few suits, some nice shoes, maybe some cool/unique furniture. Oh and some art. Then she can't tell me that I can't buy any of that stuff, or that its a waste of money.

Its totally normal bro. You gotta be alpha in your spending.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
That was an awesome thread. If I recall, his ultimate decision was to put all the clothes in storage and then slowly introduce them into his life a piece at a time so it wasn't a sudden shock to her. What a putz.
Hahaha. That was the thread that got me into SF. I was like wow there are a whole lotta of crazies here...and they have nice shoes.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradden
Just remember that your soon to be wife will mimic your spending habits by a factor of 5. If you think the " Well I got you an $$$$ engagement ring" works... it doesn't. You will also do this before your first child is born, This will include golf clubs, home theatre, BBQ or any other man toy you require since once little Miss or Mister is born you will be regarded as an ass if you spend any money on yourself. Then you will wait for mid life crisis...
Man speaketh truth. Going into a marriage with debt creates a lot of additional pressure, especially as you both get used to being married to each other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics