1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pre-interview jitters: how to resolve

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 28, 2010.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Tell the guy you're a bit nervous when you walk in. He'll take it a bit easier on you and since he knows, it will prevent you from trying to hide the fact that you're nervous. You'll be able to focus on what he's asking.

2. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

You can use a beta blocker that suppresses the fight or flight response.

+1. And doctors are pretty okay at prescribing for these types of situations.

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Got there about 40 minutes early. I felt very confident going in, which is unusual for me. But I think I nailed it.

4. StephenHero

This is good news for SF. Assuming you get the public sector job, you'll have all this time that you won't spend working and you can poast here instead.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

This is good news for SF. Assuming you get the public sector job, you'll have all this time that you won't spend working and you can poast here instead.
    My friend who would become my co-worker if I get this gig said he spent today reading a book. [​IMG]

6. Stu

Stu Senior member

As much as I try not to, I always get nervous before interviews. Wouldn't be a big problem except for the fact that I often display it outwardly: flushed face, sweat on the brow.

Is there anything I should do beforehand to calm the nerves? I've never meditated, but I wonder if I should try.

If I had Valium, that would be an option. [​IMG]

It's normal. Focus on your main strengths/talking points and you will be fine.

7. StephenHero

My friend who would become my co-worker if I get this gig said he spent today reading a book. [​IMG]

Let me guess. Another liberal that doesn't "get" the Tea Party.

8. East2West

East2West Senior member

Got there about 40 minutes early. I felt very confident going in, which is unusual for me. But I think I nailed it.

Congrats and hope you hear from them soon. But, you have to tell us what methods you used out of all the suggestions to calm your nerves! Let's bring this thread full-circle.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Arrive early and spank it in the bathroom. Should calm the nerves.

This should have been the first and only reply to this rookie question.

10. StephenHero

Did you go OCBD and understated repp tie?

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

No, I decided to go for a more "modern" look. Canali suit, spread collar, narrow vintage Brooks tie, white linen TV fold. And brown AE Park Aves.

If there's a second interview maybe I'll throw them for a loop with a sack suit and OCBD.

12. StephenHero

Bold. You're a force to be reckoned with.

13. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

If you're ready for the interview, you have nothing to be worried about.

14. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Dont get anything prescribed. Thats stupid and ridiculous. You are going to face bigger pressure situations and presentations if you get the job, are you going to pop a few pills every single time? Everyone gets nervous beforehand, just act like its a conversation, dont memorize what you are going to say, and smile and be confident.