• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PRAGUE, VIENNA, & BUDAPEST

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be spending 2 weeks between Prague, Vienna & Budapest in late December / Early January.

I would appreciate recommendations on the below things from anyone who lives/has lived there or has visited frequently and knows the cities well:

1. places to eat (focus on local/traditional cuisines / fine dining / cafes)
2. shops to visit (menswear or any craft/artisanal products or anything else thats worthwhile...antiques, etc.)
3. sites to see that are worthwhile and not the generic tourist must-sees?
4. anything else you experienced that you want to share

Your wisdom is kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

PSNY

Reaction score
There are a few interesting Sartorial places in Vienna. My favorite is Wilhelm Jungmann & Neffe. The store is absolutely breath taking and has an amazing selection of ties, fabric both vintage and new age, pocket squares, and accessories. You should also check out Mode-Atelier Knize. There are also several bespoke shoe makers in Vienna. I did not visit any during my trip.

Budapest has many ateliers, particularly glove makes. I do not know of any specifically, but know that they exist. You will see many glove stores in Vienna. A surprising number of them actually. Unfortunately, I did not find any glove makers that offered made to measure gloves. The selection is good. Most glove stores carry many shades of peccary and kid skin. The prices are reasonable as well, around €130-€170 depending on the store.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Budapest; Lazslo VASS, of course, for hand made shoes at a bargain price. Ask for cash discount and you shall receive.
Great Market Hall for food and souvenirs (may be). Grandiose 19C building with amazing selection of local food. Smoked paprika (end of isle for real, not flavored stuff). Walk behind the market and have a drink in the restaurant right on the riverfront, the views are amazing.
Budapest, Andrássy út 39, 1061 Hungary for coffee and books.
Budapest, Baross u. 8, 1086 Hungary Praga cafe, best burgers you ever going to try.
Budapest, Andrássy út 3, 1061 Hungary delicious Georgian food made by real Georgians, must try.

P.S. Hungarian food is generally greasy, pork filled yak, so I would not advise it (may be Hu. Potato soup but that is all). However Hungarian salami is the best in the world. My fav. brand is PIK. Drink tap Czech beer, delicious, fresh and cheap.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. I'm doing a similar trip at the end of March, and I created a thread about it but I totally missed that this one was already open. The only thing I knew for sure that was on my list was Vass.

alvanorichie

Reaction score
Prague:
If you want to try Czech food, i`d recommend the quarter duck (kachna), usually served with cabbage and dumplings. I generally choose restaurants based on how child friendly they are so I'll refrain from making specific recommendations.

Josefov is the part of the old town from Old Town Square north to the river. Start at old town square and walk along Pariziska past all the expensive shops until you see the old synagogue, turn left and wander around.

supplychainman

Reaction score
Prague: Nase Maso in Prague is phenomenal (https://www.yelp.com/biz/naše-maso-praha). Lokal was very good too and I drank a ton of beer there (https://www.yelp.com/biz/lokál-praha). I splurged on Field before they raised prices by 75% after they received a Michelin star and it was excellent (http://www.fieldrestaurant.cz/en/).

Budapest: Shopping seems to be covered. I want to add Zeller Bistro is excellent and I enjoyed it the most in Budapest. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...s-Zeller_Bistro-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

Vienna: I thought it was boring but had nice museums. Food was very average. Was very glad to go to Budapest after.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent inexpensive restaurant: RUBEN, Budapest, Magyar u. 12-14, 1053 Hungary (reservations advised)
Best American style latte : Cafe right around the corner from RUBEN at Muzeum korut 15
Best Quesadilla and Burrito that I have tried in Europe: Burrita Bar, Budapest, Október 6. u., 1051 Hungary
Deli located in a gorgeous area where you can build amazing cheese plate or cold-cuts and order up some whine to kill a few hours. Great concept they also have outside tables and standard menu: SonkaArcok, Budapest, 1053, Kecskeméti u. 2, 1053 Hungary
Best Indian restaurant I have ever eaten:Curry House, Budapest, Bródy Sándor u. 21, 1085 Hungary
Walk around Palace district (national museum area), gorgeous mansions and apartment buildings, Krúdy Gyula utca offers ton of places to dine or drink. Walk down the street and soak all the beauty stop by at little square with church and monument for awesome Russian small plates and drinks:Matrjoska Bisztró, Budapest, Lőrinc pap tér 3, 1088
Music club + food in a palace district inside 19C mansion: Muzikum, Budapest, Múzeum u. 7, 1088 Hungary

If you r going to be in BP in a Spring definitely visit Broken Pubs area for alfresco drinking and cool atmosphere. There are many old yards converted to communal drinking places where younger student crowd gathers after dark. Cider on tap is delciious so as beer.

Opera hauz is very beautiful and worth a visit if you could find the performance you would enjoy.
Walk up and down Andrassi street for nice window shopping and architecture galore.

If you enjoy eclectic and diverse architecture, BP is the best city in the World for that. There is no other city that I have ever been to that has so much architectural diversity and whimsy. Architecturally it is a spectacular city. It seems that every building is unique or trying to be.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I will be spending 2 weeks between Prague, Vienna & Budapest in late December / Early January. 

I would appreciate recommendations on the below things from anyone who lives/has lived there or has visited frequently and knows the cities well:

1. places to eat (focus on local/traditional cuisines / fine dining / cafes)
2. shops to visit (menswear or any craft/artisanal products or anything else thats worthwhile...antiques, etc.)
3. sites to see that are worthwhile and not the generic tourist must-sees?
4. anything else you experienced that you want to share

Your wisdom is kindly appreciated. 

Thanks.

So, how was your trip? Pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads