• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prague in 5 days

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Searched but didn't find a whole lot on clothes/cool bars,etc in Prague. Any recommendations, guys?
Is there a VASS retailer in Prague? Any tips - any at all? Dining, shopping, ahhem entertainment. Thanks in advance,

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a long time to spend there

banis

Reaction score
Prague is not a best place for shopping. AFAIR, there was no VASS retailer there.
For the dining, I liked two places - Terasa U Zlate Studne and Coda.
Terasa is really great place, where you can see Prague at night. But I am not sure that terasa is open during winter time. It has already been quite cold there in the middle of September.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For dining:

Bellevue Restaurant

Mlynec Restaurant

Bar wise, no recommendations just follow your nose.

xcontext

Reaction score
Most of the better shops are on and near Parizska street which goes from Old Town Square to the river. Prague is not best for shopping. Drinking on the other hand? Every street block will have two pubs (and, if you care, an art gallery). You can not find bad beer anywhere in Czech Republic.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bother to look for menswear. It's not really worth it.
Enjoy the art and architecture (and music) of a magnificent city.
Visit the Ghetto.
As for dining, that's a different story, many good local eateries.
For superb cuisine, I can recommend Kampa Park. Great food in
a beautiful setting:

http://www.kampagroup.com/en/restaurant.php?rid=4

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What cities relatively close to Prague (<5 hour train) are good for shopping? I'm planning a trip to Prague and am thinking of adding Vienna or Budapest to the itinerary. Thanks.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
What cities relatively close to Prague (<5 hour train) are good for shopping? I'm planning a trip to Prague and am thinking of adding Vienna or Budapest to the itinerary. Thanks.

Vienna for shopping!
Budapest for Vass

donCarlos

Reaction score
No recommendations for shopping. As others have noted, this place is a terribly overpriced sartorial wasteland. Go to Vienna, but don´t go by train, go by bus ( http://www.studentagency.eu/ - online ticket reservation). You would spent an eternity on train and it costs about two times more. The buses are even more comfortable.

As for fine dining, I don´t have much experience, but I can recommend these places for these reasons:
http://www.villarichter.cz/en - for its view on the city
http://www.cafeimperial.cz/en/index.php - for the interior and quality

Bars and pubs? Anything. If you just want to drink, try anything, maybe something more traditional like "U dvou kocek", "U Medvidku", "U Zlateho Tygra" (that´s the place our president took Clinton to during his visit). Regular "bar scene" is not my cup of tea, so nothing from me on this.
It´s really difficult to highlight some places which are not in tourist guides when I don´t know your preferences.

danskidoo

Reaction score
The best bar I went to was called Double Trouble. From the outside it doesn't look like much but if you go downstairs it's pretty cool.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Regarding Vienna, is it good for shopping in the sense that there are items there I cannot get in U.S. (other than the local shoemakers) or are the prices cheaper, or both?

gcman

Reaction score
I went with a friend from Budapest but if you are going that far you can easily drive to both Vienna and Budapest two very nice cities in my opinion.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think I can second Bellevue. There is at least one really nice restaurant a tad upstream from the Charles Bridge, near the Smetana museum.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Vienna for shopping! Budapest for Vass
On the way to Vienna by car or train, I recommend a day or two in the Castle Town Cesky Krumlov, a UNESCO World Heritage Sight. Extraordinary setting and architecture. The Castle Baroque theater is only one of a few remaining in Europe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads