Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prada Suits -- recent styles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

There are a few old threads about Prada suits. I just picked up one (Trim fit, mohair) and absolutely love it. Fully canvassed, yet still slim fit. I was trying on Dior suits, but was swimming in the classic cut (I'm 5'6", 140) and the slim fit strangely was boxy (the slimmest aspect were the lapels) and did not have the drop I desire.

Anyway, what's the feel on recent Prada suits. Are they the same as all other fashion brands, a little above, a little lower?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

If still made by Belvest, they are great quality but price inflated based on the Prada name. You said the most important things though - you love it and it fits you well, so the opinions shouldn't really matter!

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

My lowdown:

One line is garbage (fused crap, Hugo Boss quality etc),

the other line is excellent (canvassed, made by Belvest, as good as Belvest in fact, I will even go one step further and say almost as good as Tom Ford).

In my opinion:

Best case.
    Tom Ford > Prada > Dior = YSL = Gucci = Dolce and Gabbana ....................

Worst case.
    Prada = Versace Collection = Hugo Boss = John Varvatos = Jos A Bank.

If you want a good Prada suit, you have to spend the money.

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

This is interesting. I definitely got the sense that it was a step up from what I had tried/worn before. I certainly paid $ for it. haha.

I was shopping around and tried Jil Sander, Gucci, and RLBL too (besides Dior) and none felt on the same part or even close in quality except the Dior and even that did not have as nice a fabric. I was surprised.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

6. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Are you really saying that Hugo Boss suits are better than Prada suits? I'm really surprised to hear this.

7. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Dolce and Garbage is true trash.

8. JTA

JTA Senior member

In the past two seasons I've yet to see any Belvest made Prada suits, all of them were Cantarelli made and half canvassed, the fit is awesome though (including the wool/mohair one).

I remember this because my ex flatmate requested me to accompany him to Prada boutique as he wanted to buy one suit. I promised him that I will give suggestion on the fit and whether the suit is a good quality or not without commenting on the price.
    The sales person acted high and mighty and tried to up sell the suit, saying that the coat is fully canvassed. He was silenced when I pointed to him that the canvas stops before the bottom button. My ex flatmate ended up buying the suit though.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

D&G is, Dolce and Gabanna mainline is actually not bad for its price point.

10. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with Armani and Hugo Boss. They fit me better and I just like the overall luxurious feel of the material.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The suits are definitely Belvest. I was at the local Prada boutique last month and the suits I saw had the Belvest tag in the inner pocket. Looking at the tag is the best way to differentiate between their fused and canvassed items imo.

I think they're similar to Gucci in that the runway/fashion forward suits are fused (and a little cheaper) while their staple/classic colours are canvassed (and a bit pricier).

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I don't wear Prada suits, but they look to be very well made. I do wear their coats - I have more Prada coats than any other brand - and they are among my best.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

+1. Besides Tom Ford Dolce and Gabanna mainline is the one fashion brand i like. A bit expensive at retail but when you find them at C21 for under 500 i think they are a great deal.

14. Patek

Patek Senior member

If you do not know WTF you are talking about STOP POASTING!

Let's not perpetuate ignorance by stating BS on what is supposed to be an informative forum.

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

Both are absolute crap