• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Suits -- recent styles

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few old threads about Prada suits. I just picked up one (Trim fit, mohair) and absolutely love it. Fully canvassed, yet still slim fit. I was trying on Dior suits, but was swimming in the classic cut (I'm 5'6", 140) and the slim fit strangely was boxy (the slimmest aspect were the lapels) and did not have the drop I desire.

Anyway, what's the feel on recent Prada suits. Are they the same as all other fashion brands, a little above, a little lower?

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If still made by Belvest, they are great quality but price inflated based on the Prada name. You said the most important things though - you love it and it fits you well, so the opinions shouldn't really matter!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are a few old threads about Prada suits. I just picked up one (Trim fit, mohair) and absolutely love it. Fully canvassed, yet still slim fit. I was trying on Dior suits, but was swimming in the classic cut (I'm 5'6", 140) and the slim fit strangely was boxy (the slimmest aspect were the lapels) and did not have the drop I desire.
Anyway, what's the feel on recent Prada suits. Are they the same as all other fashion brands, a little above, a little lower?

My lowdown:

One line is garbage (fused crap, Hugo Boss quality etc),

the other line is excellent (canvassed, made by Belvest, as good as Belvest in fact, I will even go one step further and say almost as good as Tom Ford).

In my opinion:

Best case.
Tom Ford > Prada > Dior = YSL = Gucci = Dolce and Gabbana ....................

Worst case.
Prada = Versace Collection = Hugo Boss = John Varvatos = Jos A Bank.

If you want a good Prada suit, you have to spend the money.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My lowdown:
One line is garbage (fused crap, Hugo Boss quality etc),
the other line is excellent (canvassed, made by Belvest, as good as Belvest in fact, I will even go one step further and say almost as good as Tom Ford).
In my opinion:
Tom Ford > Prada > Dior = YSL = Gucci = Dolce and Gabbana ....................
Best case.
Worst case.
Prada = Versace Collection = Hugo Boss = John Varvatos = Jos A Bank.
If you want a good Prada suit, you have to spend the money.

This is interesting. I definitely got the sense that it was a step up from what I had tried/worn before. I certainly paid $ for it. haha.

I was shopping around and tried Jil Sander, Gucci, and RLBL too (besides Dior) and none felt on the same part or even close in quality except the Dior and even that did not have as nice a fabric. I was surprised.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

Armani or Hugo Boss suits are better if you ask me. But it has of cause a lot with taste to do :)

Are you really saying that Hugo Boss suits are better than Prada suits? I'm really surprised to hear this.

JTA

Reaction score
In the past two seasons I've yet to see any Belvest made Prada suits, all of them were Cantarelli made and half canvassed, the fit is awesome though (including the wool/mohair one).

I remember this because my ex flatmate requested me to accompany him to Prada boutique as he wanted to buy one suit. I promised him that I will give suggestion on the fit and whether the suit is a good quality or not without commenting on the price.
The sales person acted high and mighty and tried to up sell the suit, saying that the coat is fully canvassed. He was silenced when I pointed to him that the canvas stops before the bottom button. My ex flatmate ended up buying the suit though.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

colinbc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I definitely agree with Armani and Hugo Boss. They fit me better and I just like the overall luxurious feel of the material.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the past two seasons I've yet to see any Belvest made Prada suits, all of them were Cantarelli made and half canvassed, the fit is awesome though (including the wool/mohair one).
I remember this because my ex flatmate requested me to accompany him to Prada boutique as he wanted to buy one suit. I promised him that I will give suggestion on the fit and whether the suit is a good quality or not without commenting on the price.
The sales person acted high and mighty and tried to up sell the suit, saying that the coat is fully canvassed. He was silenced when I pointed to him that the canvas stops before the bottom button. My ex flatmate ended up buying the suit though.

The suits are definitely Belvest. I was at the local Prada boutique last month and the suits I saw had the Belvest tag in the inner pocket. Looking at the tag is the best way to differentiate between their fused and canvassed items imo.

I think they're similar to Gucci in that the runway/fashion forward suits are fused (and a little cheaper) while their staple/classic colours are canvassed (and a bit pricier).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The suits are definitely Belvest. I was at the local Prada boutique last month and the suits I saw had the Belvest tag in the inner pocket. Looking at the tag is the best way to differentiate between their fused and canvassed items imo.
I think they're similar to Gucci in that the runway/fashion forward suits are fused (and a little cheaper) while their staple/classic colours are canvassed (and a bit pricier).

+1. I don't wear Prada suits, but they look to be very well made. I do wear their coats - I have more Prada coats than any other brand - and they are among my best.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

D&G is, Dolce and Gabanna mainline is actually not bad for its price point.

+1. Besides Tom Ford Dolce and Gabanna mainline is the one fashion brand i like. A bit expensive at retail but when you find them at C21 for under 500 i think they are a great deal.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Armani or Hugo Boss suits are better if you ask me. But it has of cause a lot with taste to do :)

I definitely agree with Armani and Hugo Boss. They fit me better and I just like the overall luxurious feel of the material.

If you do not know WTF you are talking about STOP POASTING!

Let's not perpetuate ignorance by stating BS on what is supposed to be an informative forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads