• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada MTM

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this card in the mail yesterday.  Thought I'd post the info in case someone else is interested.

FYI - I have nothing to do with this event and know nothing more about it than what this card says.  I only received info about New York, I do not know if it applies to stores in other cities as well.

Prada is pleased to invite you to a made to measure event for Men.

Friday March 11 and Saturday March 12

Prada Sales Associates and expert tailors will be available to customize suits, jackets and tuxedos to your specific measurements.  Fabrics offered for your selection will range from an assortment of Prada classics to exclusive luxe cashmere, silk and linen blends. This season, Prada will offer a new rich variety of customized jacket linings in silk and silk jacquard.

Please contact one of the select Prada made to measure locations to schedule your appointment.

Prada
New York
841 Madison Avenue  Chi Kim 212-327-4200
724 Fifth Avenue  Maya Piascik 212-664-0010
575 Broadway  Edwin Jimenez 212-334-8888

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Interesting - though I assume Prada would be very 'fashion-forward' - i.e. super slim-fitting suits, narrow lapels etc.

Any clue as to the price?

Thanks,

Panzer

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big range, depending on fabric: US 2060-16000

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting - though I assume Prada would be very 'fashion-forward' - i.e. super slim-fitting suits, narrow lapels etc.

Any clue as to the price?

Thanks,

Panzer
I would assume that as well.

As far as price, I have no idea. I wasn't interested so I didn't look into it. I just thought there might be some here who might want to take advantage of the opportunity.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, not really. Prada lapels have been actually rather wide, especially compared to some other "fashion-forward" labels, in recent seasons, and the fit, though rather slim through the shoulders, is not particularly slim compared to say, Helmut Lang, through the torso.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prada's businesswear is almost completely misunderstood by contributors to this forum, as I don't believe it is something they are generally interested in. That is unfortunate, because much of it is very fine, unique without being so far out there that one wearing it would feel out of place in a room full of BB-wearers, say.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prada's businesswear is almost completely misunderstood by contributors to this forum, as I don't believe it is something they are generally interested in. That is unfortunate, because much of it is very fine, unique without being so far out there that one wearing it would feel out of place in a room full of BB-wearers, say.

I agree completely. I don't discount Oxxford (although my knowledge of specific cuts is admittedly more limited than many other forum members,) nor do I deign to state that BB is too "staid American" for me, and thereon in categorically refuse to learn about these brands. They have their merits, even if they are not for me.

I feel that one loses something by being prejudiced, and it is sad to read posts in which posters dismiss a certain designer as being for "fashion victims" or because of perceived "poor worikmanship" (news, people, Prada is not trying to be Kiton), when that poster obviously has very little, if any, knowledge about the label's design philosophy and actual products.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've actually been turned off by the wideness of Prada lapels lately... The thing I would suspect is a *slightly* boxier fit, and a shorter skirt. I love Prada fabrics - if I was rich enough I would go to the event to get a suit from one of their innovative (and often gorgeous) fabrics. YSL, Dior and Gucci are the slimmest suits that I know of - I consider Prada to be in the "ideal fit" range - fitted, but not tight. I imagine that the price for one of these suits will be very, very high.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel that one loses something by being prejudiced, and it is sad to read posts in which posters dismiss a certain designer as being for "fashion victims" or because of perceived "poor worikmanship" (news, people, Prada is not trying to be Kiton), when that poster obviously has very little, if any, knowledge about the label's design philosophy and actual products.
Speaking for myself, I do not knock Prada or other designers because of their poor quality of construction qua construction, but because the quality of handwork and construction in relation to the price.

I'm sure what you would say is that it's an apples and oranges comparison. Whereas with Kiton you pay for handwork, with Prada you pay for the style, for the design - that is worth something. And so you are buying two different things when you purchase a Kiton and a Prada. Prada's innovative designs are worth something to you. Like with a painting, you aren't paying for the quality of the paint, of the materials, but the vision of the artist in making something out of them.

You are welcome to make that valuation. But just recognize that I and probably many other users don't buy that analogy, and don't make that same valuation. What we see are two suits that cost $2000, one of which had a lot more work go into it than the other. Indeed, I think most designers are a complete rip-off. Not only do I think Prada suits look bad, have sleeves that are too long, an unpleasant fit (particularly in the crotch-hugging trousers) and generally ugly fabrics, even if they looked great, i would not trade quality of construction for a nice silhouette. Most people here, I would say, buy a suit not because it would look great in an artist's studio.

It's just a different way of thinking about what you are buying. You are paying for the designer who is drawing up what the suit will look like and don't care if there is an artisan who is putting it together. And, as I say, in general I think that is fine, but because I don't agree with your high valuation of the design and the design alone, I simply can't justify the outrageous prices that designers charge. I would say "Armani is crap" or "Prada is crap" with less frequency if they actually cost what they were worth in my eye.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Fair call Z, except that Kiton suits cost double what a Prada suit costs. If you're comparing Prada to Canali, Prada has more handwork. They are by all means to be considered artisinal suits.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the reason that I steer clear of most higher end designer clothing is that I view such clothing as "disposable." By disposable, I am not refering to the quality of the clothing. As L.A. Guy rightly points out, at least in my case, I do not know enough about the quality of the Pradas, Guccis, and Dior Hommes of the world to make an informed decision as to their quality. When I say disposable, I mean that it is my impression that most higher end designers design their clothing to reflect the fashion moment (i.e. what is trendy at that time - of course, those same designers often decide what is trendy at the time). I do not want (nor can I afford) to plunk down $2,000 on a suit that is cut or styled in a way that will make it out of fashion in a year or two. On the other hand, I can see spending $2,000 on a suit that will not only last for years, but be in style for years.

Of course, the above assumes that my impression of higher end designers is correct. I am happy to be proved wrong (and often am).

Just my .02 cents.

Regards,

Jeff

Lydia

Reaction score
The quality of Prada and some of the synthetic crap they use can be really vexing to look at.

I just wish that I didn't have to wear baggy trousers, perhaps even with the dreaded pleats to get quality workmanship and decent fabric.

Unfortunately, I think many men who wear Gucci and Prada (not that I wear either of these brands, or any designer clothing for that matter) do it not because of the name or the exciting design, but because they are the only clothes that don't fit like a sail. Though I love the fabrics of Kiton, RLPL, etc., I could never wear it because it is meant to fit a man in his forties or fifties. And anyway, I don't want to dress like a conservative businessman, when I'm really a vain, spoiled...uh...traveller.

When Brioni starts doing ass-tight bell-bottoms, I'll be a taker.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Martin Margiela has a lot of handwork.

Especially if one goes to the 0 line.
Yes but unfortunately it seems that in the smaller sizes Margiela is considerably baggy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads