• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Power Ties

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who wears ties regularly, I was curious about what constitutes a power tie. I've heard people say that red ties are power ties; however I've also seen red as being a color recommended for interviews (on the Styleforum wiki and elsewhere), which would be at odds with it being a power tie.

On the other hand, I've also seen striped, regimental ties referred to as power ties.

As someone who likes red, I try not wearing ties that aren't too overtly bright, but are red nevertheless. I'm in an industry that is fairly traditional and is client facing on a daily basis, so the last thing that I want to do is have a client (or my more senior colleagues) feel that I am one-upping them.

So, what exactly constitutes a power tie? And what shades/patterns can you go without offending the more senior people that you work with?

Also, is red the only color? I've heard people say that yellow is the new red, and the like, as well. Which, of course, makes it all the more subjective (not to mention confusing).

Thoughts?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overused concept.

While it's true that appearance can affect how others interact with us, the term "power tie" implies that all one has to do is slip on an appropriately bold coloured tie and magically we'll become the most authoritative person in the room. Just doesn't work that way.

If you're a weak/indecisive person, wearing a bright red or yellow or whatever "power tie" just makes you the weak/indecisive person with obnoxious ties.

Use clothes to project an image if you want to, sure. Just make sure you can back up the image with poise and knowledge.

I appreciate I haven't really answered your question.
smile.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Overused concept.

While it's true that appearance can affect how others interact with us, the term "power tie" implies that all one has to do is slip on an appropriately bold coloured tie and magically we'll become the most authoritative person in the room. Just doesn't work that way.

If you're a weak/indecisive person, wearing a bright red or yellow or whatever "power tie" just makes you the weak/indecisive person with obnoxious ties.

Use clothes to project an image if you want to, sure. Just make sure you can back up the image with poise and knowledge.

I appreciate I haven't really answered your question.
smile.gif

+1 to that. I think you may consider the emotions that different colours evoke and how that works with your personality and skin tone.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is a term that should have died with the '80s.

As I recall, the theory was that the true "power color" changed over time, and only those in the know really understood what it was. By the time the masses figured it out and adopted that color, the cognoscenti had moved on.

When I first heard the term, the power color was supposedly yellow. Certainly at that time (late '80s) yellow ties were everywhere. Then red was in, then purple. Last time I heard the term, the power color was supposedly baby blue. This wouls have been around 2000.

I think "power tie" is, in the end, just a term for "bright colored tie popular in the banking and legal sectors at a given moment." I also think the whole concept has pretty much died a merciful death.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is a term that should have died with the '80s.

As I recall, the theory was that the true "power color" changed over time, and only those in the know really understood what it was. By the time the masses figured it out and adopted that color, the cognoscenti had moved on.
. . . I also think the whole concept has pretty much died a merciful death.

It has not. You just aren't on the distribution list anymore. Also, to keep proles from figuring it out, it now includes more than just color and changes monthly. Also, one city per month gets a different flavor

But I will give you a hint - San Francisco got stuck with a pretty awful pick this month.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
But I will give you a hint - San Francisco got stuck with a pretty awful pick this month.

Yellow paisley, widely spaced, is about the definition of a 1987/8 power tie.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yellow paisley, widely spaced, is about the definition of a 1987/8 power tie.
Cream, damnit.

iyorito

Reaction score
Solid navy repp tie. Can't go wrong with that under any occasion.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A power tie is whatever color tie the most powerful guy in the room is wearing.

If you want to look authoritative, then you can achieve that look by wearing a well tailored dark suit and a great looking subtle tie. In the 80's and 90's it was about high contrast (yellow and red), but now it seems to be more about a more harmonious look, i.e. lower contrast or picking up the blue in your suit. More subtle, I guess is another way to put it.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong! It's Pink.

Originally Posted by yachtie
You're all wrong. It's orange.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Wrong! It's Pink.

Well, hey. As long as it's not hot pink with tiger stripes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads