• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Power, Seduction and War.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Anyone else here a fan of Robert Greene?

He has 3 books out:

10299597.jpg

9703169.jpg

the_art_of_seduction.jpg

And a blog.

I'm reading his first book and it's fascinating. If you ever get your hands on his work, try reading it!

jhao

Reaction score
I have his first 2 books, ( about power and war), and I think that the 48 laws of power is more complete and is more practical for everyday use.

That book really helped me in a lot of situations.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started reading it but thought it was too Machiavellian. I'd like to think these things come up in modern life each day, but in mine, they just don't.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah got about half way through the 48 laws and put it down ... just didn't seem relevant to me

But after getting a job in a massive corporate I could probably do with re-reading it (and finishing it!)

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
read Power and War 15x + each. The writing style is a bit ornate which I think detracts from the practicality of the lessons.

That said, there's a bit of wisdom to be found in Power and War. E.g., Not outshining your boss, Keeping up the game to the end, cultivating drama, being a proponent of change rather than the agent of change, never having two people in charge of the same thing etc.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
read Power and War 15x + each. The writing style is a bit ornate which I think detracts from the practicality of the lessons.

That said, there's a bit of wisdom to be found in Power and War. E.g., Not outshining your boss, Keeping up the game to the end, cultivating drama, being a proponent of change rather than the agent of change, never having two people in charge of the same thing etc.

Not to be difficult, but you read these books 30+ times total for a few nuggets of wisdom like those?

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've read power and seduction keep forgetting war. I like his books, wouldnt take them to seriously but they do offer up nice ways to mess with someones head.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
The guy joined the Tucker Max network in 2006. Hmmm.

I read the books freshman year of college when I thought they were OMG AWESOME. Turns out, they are pretty subpar. This is not a shot to the OP, but I think it's hilarious when kids read these and then feel enlightened...promoting the book like its a classic.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good read though you should read the real cannon like Machiavelli, Nitsche, Sun Tzu, etc...

It has bite-sized chapters great for the bathroom.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
The guy joined the Tucker Max network in 2006. Hmmm.

I read the books freshman year of college when I thought they were OMG AWESOME. Turns out, they are pretty subpar. This is not a shot to the OP, but I think it's hilarious when kids read these and then feel enlightened...promoting the book like its a classic.

You just described likeitaloud. He actually reminds me of my younger self which is probably why I despise him so much.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cover of the seduction book is something....

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Not to be difficult, but you read these books 30+ times total for a few nuggets of wisdom like those?

good bathroom reading - the stories lend themselves to 4-5 minute intervals. The writing style is enjoyable and the lessons are easy to dismiss as obvious until you find you need to react to political situations on the spot.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

good bathroom reading - the stories lend themselves to 4-5 minute intervals. The writing style is enjoyable and the lessons are easy to dismiss as obvious until you find you need to react to political situations on the spot.

You're pretty much right on the money. The books are easy reading, entertaining, enjoyable, filled with fun historical and literary anecdotes. Have all three, enjoyed them a lot. They are not serious history/psychology/politics works, but still very fun and very applicable in real life.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka