• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Power of Proportions for Short Men - today's WSJ ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Power of Proportions for Short Men - WSJ.com
"One out of three men in the United States is under 5 feet 8 inches tall. You'd never guess the magnitude of the demographic from menswear. "They have stores for big and tall men, so why not for shorter men?" asks Josh Lefkowitz, who describes his height as "five-foot-three and a half." A New York public-relations executive, Mr. Lefkowitz likes to buy a jacket in size 36 short and take it to a tailor. To make a size seven shoe fit, he buys inserts to fill out the extra space. Yet when standard-size clothes are altered for a man like Mr. Lefkowitz, the final proportions can come out all wrong. Simply shortening a suit's hems and sleeves can leave the collar too broad, the pockets oversized, the armholes gargantuan, the elbow curves too low and the rear droopy."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123561602426178447.html
http://blogs.wsj.com/runway/2009/02/...for-short-men/

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
Proportions also work against guys with bigger feet.. shoes look ideal in around a 9, but when you blow them up into a 12-13 they just look like elongated blimps.
9's on a guy 7 tall is not ideal in any way.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so "an inch equals $40,000"?

Then I'm a pocket millionaire
laugh.gif

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
9's on a guy 7 tall is not ideal in any way.
I'm not talking about the proportion of the shoe to the body, I'm talking about the proportion of the design of the shoe to the length of the shoe. What looks like a neat little detail in a size 9 can look pretty awful when the shoe is stretched out.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

laugh.gif

No, it equals the equivalent of $30K in terms of attracting a mate i.e. if you are 5'8" tall, you need to make $120k more to attract the same mate as a 6' tall man. Sounds like a lot to me but I haven't read the research.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

laugh.gif

Are you too short to read?

Inch = $600 more per year in wage slavery wages.

$30K = the amount more per year you have to earn to make up for effect on Downtown Hotties of each inch of height that you lack.

Curiously, the article does not go into the positive or negative effects of relative head size. As we know from StyleForvm, this is a critical factor. The absence of any reference to it undercuts the article considerably.

Nevertheless, I plan to implement cost savings based on the principles articulated so well in this article...starting with the tallest man, we'll be cutting everyone's wages by $600 per each inch of lower height than the tallest guy.

- B

just thoughts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxnate
Does anyone know if Jimmy Au have his own line or if his store just stocks smaller sized stuff?

They sell smaller sized stuff, as well as offer MTM suits. Not sure if there's MTM anything else though.

AgainstTheWall

Reaction score
Great article, That store is awesome, I'm lucky to live in LA. When I needed a suit I found a write up on it at shortshrifted.com and went in. Jimmy is the nicest guy. I bought a charcoal suit in a 37 extra short. plus his own line of shirt, tie. plus another shirt... cost me like 1200 or so. Not bad. but not cheap either. BTW i'm a 26 yr old guy, i'm about 5'6, and weigh about 128 or so with my little gut. This was my first suit and i'm glad i got a good classic look, good fit, and i think good quality. I really can't say enough. This place deserves all the attention its been getting recently.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are you too short to read?

Inch = $600 more per year in wage slavery wages.

$30K = the amount more per year you have to earn to make up for effect on Downtown Hotties of each inch of height that you lack.

Curiously, the article does not go into the positive or negative effects of relative head size. As we know from StyleForvm, this is a critical factor. The absence of any reference to it undercuts the article considerably.

Nevertheless, I plan to implement cost savings based on the principles articulated so well in this article...starting with the tallest man, we'll be cutting everyone's wages by $600 per each inch of lower height than the tallest guy.

- B

WSJ (or Forbes) are probably the only publications where you'd have some guy pretending there are studies quantifying the effect of +30K/year on attracting honeys in da clubs.

I'm always amazed that the slim/short market is so badly served considering how many people have at least one of those two characteristics, must be because they have no power in society... ******* shorties!!!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
must be because they have no power in society... ******* shorties!!!

The hero.

carla_bruni_sarkozy_elysee_palace02.jpg

ignore the pants length
Official+Welcome+Ceremony+President+Sarkozy+4CZloQgbxkWl.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'm the same height as Alex Trebek so my success in life was ensured from the start. Oh and Bill O'reilly is 6'4" so I recommend adjusting your height to 6'3.5" or 6'4.5" if you previously pretended to be 6'4". On the other hand the 5'9.5" are truly superior as William Shatner is that height.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
WSJ (or Forbes) are probably the only publications where you'd have some guy pretending there are studies quantifying the effect of +30K/year on attracting honeys in da clubs.

Exactly...it's hilarious.

The only thing that has been demonstrated beyond doubt is how much a fake tan from a can puts you over the top with the Gyno-Americans. That can't be disputed.

Oh: waxed eyebrows...but I will leave that to tomorrow's edition of WAYWRN Looks Gone Wrong: Photographs Cropped to Protect the Guiltyâ„¢.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm the same height as Alex Trebek so my success in life was ensured from the start. Oh and Bill O'reilly is 6'4" so I recommend adjusting your height to 6'3.5" or 6'4.5" if you previously pretended to be 6'4"

My wife was on Jeopardy!, and it was a real trip.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads