"Power jeans" -- what's your take?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Twotone, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

This quote from the article below got my attention: "When someone shows up to an interview or meeting in anything other than jeans, it shows inexperience and a lack of confidence," says Andrew Dumont, vice president of marketing for text-messaging company Tatango. Of course what's perceived by "inexperience and a lack of confidence" for a San Francisco text-messaging company is different than a NYC investment bank. I guess if world leaders can pull it off so can we (for the right occasion). Twotone http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...104873016.html

2. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Well for someone interviewing for a job at Tatango, I guess they should wear jeans. That's the simple reality for Mr. Dumont. I have no idea how widespread that view is in other Bay-area high-tech firms.

That said, I'm hard pressed to understand the statement. "Inexperience." I guess this means that the interviewee should have known that everyone wears jeans at such firms, including interviewees(?). "Lack of confidence." This I understand even less.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

So, ok wear jeans when dealing with San-Fran tech people.

4. BABuckeye

BABuckeye Senior member

Andrew D is a 21-year-old drop out from prestigious Western Washington University. He is obviously the authority on experience.

5. &Son

&Son Senior member

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Andrew D is a 21-year-old drop out from prestigious Western Washington University. He is obviously the authority on experience.

+1. CrunchBase on Andrew D.

7. SkinnyGoomba

guy in the middle

[​IMG]

For a san-fran tech company I assume he's accurate with his comments on jeans.

For a lot of other industries he's way off, but i assume he was talking about his business.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, you mean we are judged on the clothes we wear??? [​IMG]

9. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Senior member

Totally bravado and spoken like the true Douche that guy must be.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Spoken like a true Moran. ----
    Does this appear both relaxed and powerful to you? It appears to me he had soiled his suit trousers and had to get a fast replacement. [​IMG]

11. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Spoken like a true Moran.

----

Does this appear both relaxed and powerful to you?

It appears to me he had soiled his suit trousers and had to get a fast replacement.

[​IMG]

I thought the jacket was too long, and was making him appear shorter than he already is.

12. SkinnyGoomba

I like jeans and a sportcoat, but it looks off if its a suit jacket, and more so if its too long.

13. Godot

Godot Senior member

I agree that the jacket is way too long.
    The idea of wearing jeans to meet the US president is an interesting choice. It's kind of making the statement that this event is no big deal to me-not really an important event. Note that Obama didn't think enough of this meeting to wear a tie. Wearing jeans to the event trumps Obama in the "this is not important" game.

14. DGP

DGP Senior member

I totally understand where he's coming from, and in fact, the comments above prove his point to a degree: they demonstrate how uncomfortable many of us would be walking into a job interview in jeans. Indeed, I haven't done that since I worked at the Gap during high school. Someone who truly understands his business and wants to prove that they get where he's coming from will know to go into an interview there in jeans is all he's saying.

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

I think the main point is to understand a company's culture. Do your homework on a company before interviewing there. If it's a super-casual place, find out what people are expected to wear to an interview. If you hear repeatedly not to wear a suit, then don't wear a suit. Yes, there are companies out there -- especially in Bay Area tech -- where wearing a suit to the interview might go so far as to automatically disqualify you. If you look like you don't know the company, then you appear either unprepared or a "bad fit."

Never underestimate the fit portion of an interview. "Will this person get along well in our company?" is just as important a question as "Is this person qualified for the job?" at many, many firms.