• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Power Dressing---any pics, thoughts, etc.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is power dressing a standard of business or has it been lost?
I rarely see a sharp dressed executive anymore.

topbroker

Reaction score
I've started talking about this in a revived Gordon Gekko thread. As I mentioned there, I like that aggressive Eighties business style very much, and I am incorporating it (suitably freshened, I like to think
) into my daily business wear.

It is perfectly true that there is less dressing for power than there used to be, but that also opens an opportunity to stand out by doing so. One workday I ran into a relative I hadn't seen in a while, and the first words she said were "You look powerful!" I liked that.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go.

I imagine the reason people stopped doing the "power look" of the 80s is because it shows more insecurity than power.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose if I had to answer that definitively I'd say "No, it's not lost." Less common that it used to be? Probably so. But I find that it's not unusual to deal with executives who dress in traditional "power" style, especially in fields like insurance, banking, etc., as well as in many other large corporations (and some smaller ones). Certainly some people on the business side of the entertainment industry aspire to such a look, albeit often with limited success.

otterhound

Reaction score
I love that look. Big shoulders, double-breasted suits, braces, full-cut pants which taper somewhat at the ankle. The contrasting collar shirt I can live without, but I think the rest of it really flatters the physique.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.