1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Power Dressing---any pics, thoughts, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

Is power dressing a standard of business or has it been lost?
    I rarely see a sharp dressed executive anymore.

2. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I've started talking about this in a revived Gordon Gekko thread. As I mentioned there, I like that aggressive Eighties business style very much, and I am incorporating it (suitably freshened, I like to think [​IMG] ) into my daily business wear.

It is perfectly true that there is less dressing for power than there used to be, but that also opens an opportunity to stand out by doing so. One workday I ran into a relative I hadn't seen in a while, and the first words she said were "You look powerful!" I liked that.

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Here you go.

[​IMG]

I imagine the reason people stopped doing the "power look" of the 80s is because it shows more insecurity than power.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I suppose if I had to answer that definitively I'd say "No, it's not lost." Less common that it used to be? Probably so. But I find that it's not unusual to deal with executives who dress in traditional "power" style, especially in fields like insurance, banking, etc., as well as in many other large corporations (and some smaller ones). Certainly some people on the business side of the entertainment industry aspire to such a look, albeit often with limited success.

5. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I love that look. Big shoulders, double-breasted suits, braces, full-cut pants which taper somewhat at the ankle. The contrasting collar shirt I can live without, but I think the rest of it really flatters the physique.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It's the look of a fashion victim now. Rather than a personal style, it become a costume. Perhaps it could be worn with irony, though who would want to?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ladies and gentlemen, here's Grace...

[​IMG]

8. BrooklynMike

BrooklynMike Well-Known Member

Larry Kudlow is still doing it.