• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Power clean/clean and jerk/push-press/snatch/deadlift - who does them?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Nah, I have not. I do a lot of box jump, but that jump squat sounds interesting; will definitely try sometimes. If anything, it should be good for some more variety and serves as another way/excuse to get out of the gym sooner.
laugh.gif

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a good exercise but obviously start with low weight
smile.gif
My friend said once he started doing it, he was able to increase his vertical by 2-3" over the course of a year.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
By the way, am I alone in not really liking squats for heavy weights? They're alright for bodyweight/1.5x bodyweight, but I feel like the damage potential for heavier weights on the spine is just not worth it, too unhealthy in the long run. I'm beginning to favor DB weighted lunges instead, though it isn't a power exercise.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
By the way, am I alone in not really liking squats for heavy weights? They're alright for bodyweight/1.5x bodyweight, but I feel like the damage potential for heavier weights on the spine is just not worth it, too unhealthy in the long run. I'm beginning to favor DB weighted lunges instead, though it isn't a power exercise.

I guess it depends on your goals. For general fitness, though I would say going super heavy on squats probably isn't a good thing long term. Lately I've just dropped my weights to about 1 x BW on all three primary lifts during my cutting.

It seems like a lot of the new "high-tech" workouts are emphasizing light weight dumbbell + body weight squats with high intensity, as well.

kever

Reaction score

I don't like heavy squats much. They hurt my lower back. I'm really tall and not flexible, so to get down low I need to bend forward a lot, which is hard on my back. I have no problems with heavy deadlifts though.

And with jump squats I'd say 50% of your squat is WAY too much to start with. 20% of your 1rm squat would be a better place to start to get the correct technique and speed.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever
I don't like heavy squats much. They hurt my lower back. I'm really tall and not flexible, so to get down low I need to bend forward a lot, which is hard on my back. I have no problems with heavy deadlifts though.

And with jump squats I'd say 50% of your squat is WAY too much to start with. 20% of your 1rm squat would be a better place to start to get the correct technique and speed.

Yeah, 50% is definitely too much to start with. I was just saying that ultimately people that did it used about 40-50% of what they rep for jump squats.

Also, as far as a lot of the Olympic lifts, good form is exceedingly important for success/safety, and I'm not that comfortable with them. I imagine many people are in the same boat.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever

This, to me, sounds like a problem with range of motion rather than flexibility. Assuming your spine-stabilizers are strong enough to keep a nice arch in your back (they might not be, for all I know), poor hip mobility will cause lower back flexion as you try to keep your center of gravity over your feet.

Have you done any foam rolling routines? They are said to help your range of motion.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
No matter how flexible your hip flexors are, if you're doing lots of weight in a back squat, physics says that your lower back will take a lot of that weight. Assuming he is talking about a backsquat.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to deadlift religiously..haven't done it in a while tho :/.

I do a lot of high pulls, hang cleans, power cleans now..

nioh

Reaction score

I love heavy squats, front and regular. I wouldn't say they're unhealthy, but as with every heavy exercise ~6 reps is enough per set.

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
This, to me, sounds like a problem with range of motion rather than flexibility. Assuming your spine-stabilizers are strong enough to keep a nice arch in your back (they might not be, for all I know), poor hip mobility will cause lower back flexion as you try to keep your center of gravity over your feet.

Have you done any foam rolling routines? They are said to help your range of motion.

My spine stabilizers are quite strong right now. I just finished a 15 week program with twice a week leg days which incorporated extremely slow reps of front and back squats as well as deadlifts. Usually a 5-0-5 tempo. Preceded by a few different powerlifts. I thought my back was strong when I started, but once you have to go that slow, it's really surprising how weak it is. I do have poor hip mobility, caused by extremely tight glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors. Right now I'm in a foreign country, and don't have access to all of the things I could do at home (foam roller for example). I do, however have a lot of free time (only one basketball practice a day), so I spend a lot of my day stretching. Hopefully that will help me get more of a natural technique to my squat.

Aiwass

Reaction score
i use to do them and messed my shoulder up, so i dont do it anymore

adversity04

Reaction score
I haven't started doing them yet, but plan to once I get someone who can teach me proper form. Then I'm going to have to fight with my college gym about doing them....

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah, my uni rec center wouldn't allow people to do power lifts for safety reasons. I'd say learn how to do them properly, and don't get caught.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: I tried this today, 3x10 reps of about 20-35% 1RM. A few questions:
- How do I keep the weights stable? I back squat then jump; every few sets the olympic bar would bounce off the back part of my shoulder and drop to a slightly lower position. This hurted a wee bit.
- How high should I jump? Didn't go all out myself due to the above problem.
- Is there any special landing technique to reduce injury risk?

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Jump squats are an explosiveness exercise. They're not good for your knees but people that want to improve vertical often do them. I guess they were first popularized in Eastern Europe in the 70s-80s. You load up a bar with about half of what you actually squat, go down close to parallel, then jump. It's crazy to watch people do them, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads