• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Power clashing - do you do it?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like this?
Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-03-27%2Bat%2B8.43.12%2BPM.png
I don't have a wardrobe that could support it if I even tried.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

It's actually a 30 Rock reference from one of my (fictional) sartorial hero's - Jack Donaghy. If he were real - he'd be Aportnoy's and Manton's lovechild.

Liz+and+Jack.jpg

During the last episode he met his future self in 20 years - and asks "What the hell are you wearing - is that a striped shirt with a striped tie???"

Future Jack replies "It's called power-clashing - and I will make it trendy in the year 2020"
lol8[1].gif

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Power-clashing" is performed every day in the window displays of Turnbull & Asser - it's not a new phenomenon. It's only in this country that pattern-mixing is considered revolutionary and sexually suspect . . .

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
More on this.....
confused.gif

As in - if you're able to successfully mix three patterns, you must also be of questionable sexual orientation (not my attitude - it is only with this generation of slobs that those who can dress are seen as "less than manly", but others may differ on this point - certainly those who would not bother to read postings here in these fora).

Valproate

Reaction score
I think the tie and the suit patterns are a little too close in size and design.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valproate
I think the tie and the suit patterns are a little too close in size and design.

And the jacket is a full size too small.

garymyman

Reaction score
I once wore a linen shirt under a seersucker suit. Does that count?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
As in - if you're able to successfully mix three patterns, you must also be of questionable sexual orientation (not my attitude - it is only with this generation of slobs that those who can dress are seen as "less than manly", but others may differ on this point - certainly those who would not bother to read postings here in these fora).
It is understood that these are not your own personal views but to touch on this, I have to say that I personally am long over this fear. I power clash at will and it is not only liberating, it is either going to upset some but the majority would probably enjoy seeing it. There are a lot of men out there who are literally afraid of what others think, if they think at all, and really, why imprison ourselves with other peoples ignorance? We need not sleep with our critics after all, do we? Let them think me homosexual, bisexual, trisexual or asexual, I don't care. Leading is always more fun than following.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
It is understood that these are not your own personal views but to touch on this, I have to say that I personally am long over this fear. I power clash at will and it is not only liberating, it is either going to upset some but the majority would probably enjoy seeing it. There are a lot of men out there who are literally afraid of what others think, if they think at all, and really, why imprison ourselves with other peoples ignorance?
Having seen upr_crust's WAYWRN posts, I don't think he belongs to that category. In fact, going just by his ties, I'm quite certain he doesn't.
laugh.gif
We need not sleep with our critics after all, do we?
Depends on how hot they are. Well, assuming they are women (personal preference - YMMV).
Let them think me homosexual, bisexual, trisexual or asexual, I don't care. Leading is always more fun than following.
That's the spirit! As long as you share those pictures on the Creepy Sartorial Images thread, of course. And while we're on the topic, I think you should meet Mr. James.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lack the wherewithal to do this, so no.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
That's the spirit! As long as you share those pictures on the Creepy Sartorial Images thread, of course. And while we're on the topic, I think you should meet Mr. James.

I've been painting a bedroom over here and was rather high on fumes when I typed my response.
tounge.gif

I'm fairly certain that I'll agree with myself once the fumes wear off and appreciate the support Metlin!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have been known to do this every now and then in a "subtle" manner..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics