• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PoW fabric options

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
i wouldnt mind seeing it

scabalkent1.jpg

Full discussion here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=144665

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with these is that the blue is fairly subtle, and a plain PoW just looks a bit older than i want (at 28).

(Though I'm 10 years older) I wouldn't worry about that. Make sure the glen check is big enough and that the fabric has some texture. I even think a plain one (in black and white/grey) looks younger than one with an overcheck, but that could well be just me...

Besides that, the style (excusez le mot) of the suit is more important than the fabric in the young/old context, I think.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
minnis fresco is also too light

there is one in the minnis flannel book that is 15-16oz, but the blue is pretty discreet

So, the 15/16oz Minnis flannel is fine, but Harrison's 15/16oz worsted is too heavy?

On a more serious note, have you seen and felt the P&B cloth already or do you know it only from photos? I have recently gotten a bunch of samples from Harrison's and must say that the specific P&B POW you are considering is really nice stuff. +/-1 oz can't be that much of a problem, after all.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
So, the 15/16oz Minnis flannel is fine, but Harrison's 15/16oz worsted is too heavy?

On a more serious note, have you seen and felt the P&B cloth already or do you know it only from photos? I have recently gotten a bunch of samples from Harrison's and must say that the specific P&B POW you are considering is really nice stuff. +/-1 oz can't be that much of a problem, after all.

no, i didnt say the minnis or harrisons was ok. i created the thread to because i wasnt entirely satisifed with what is out there.

i have seen the p&b universal book yes. i just wanted to see what else is out there. i hate picking fabrics from a swatch, especially when there is a pattern.

sator did a write up on that book on the cutter and tailor forum (where i stole the pic from
colgate.gif
) and he is generally complimentary.

fox81

Reaction score
the blue is loud there, but maybe thats not all bad. do you know what the fabric is? i wouldnt mind seeing it up close

fox81

Reaction score
That was a bit brown, but still interesting to see. i wouldnt mind going thru the rest of that book. that thread has a lot more food for thought in it. thanks for posting

it doesnt look like that fabric foo posted is available anymore

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
there is one in the Ice book from Dormeuil. That is the one you want. Makes up really well. Has a clean, fresh look to the cloth.

i did like the look of this. from what i can gather its expensive tho. any idea of cost per metre?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ My tailor.com is asking 1900 USD for a 2 piece suit

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ My tailor.com is asking 1900 USD for a 2 piece suit

yer i saw, and that sounds expensive since they do other fabrics for 1000usd.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
show us some pics when your dugdale pow is ready.

Will do - still patiently awaiting a next fitting with Graham Browne. Though seeing as how it's a first for Russell doing an unlined design, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results won't be disastrous.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
Will do - still patiently awaiting a next fitting with Graham Browne. Though seeing as how it's a first for Russell doing an unlined design, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results won't be disastrous.

ha, ill ask him about it when im down there next.

he had a pow with a red windowpane in the works last time i was there

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
ha, ill ask him about it when im down there next.

he had a pow with a red windowpane in the works last time i was there

Haha, you can ask him to show it to you if he has it there. It's a 3-roll-2 with patch pockets. Have you got any commissions with him in the works at present?

fox81

Reaction score
yes, a navy w/ chalkstripe flannel DB

im due for another fitting in the next week

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads