• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pots and Pans

Uker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know its late but I am trying to purchase my mother a new set of pots and pans for her kitchen for Christmas.

Some things that I know she will want:
Non stick coating- no aluminum, cast iron, etc.
MUST MUST MUST have a flat bottom, she has an electric stove with a ceramic top.

I am currently looking at Analon's line( http://www.amazon.com/Anolon-Profess...pr_product_top ), but truly have no idea what good brands are and I figured you guys would be able to help me out. My mother does cook quite a bit so I want to make sure these pans will last a while and will make cooking a little bit easier for her.

Thanks!

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Calphalon pots and pans and I just love them. Very well made and durable.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pots: I use only glazed (white glazing inside).
I would need a replacement on some of them soon and would appreciate recommendation of a good maker of such glazed cookware.

Yo-han

Reaction score
get her a nice assortment of Le Creuset, works great, looks great and comes with a lifetime warranty

lecreuset.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got the idea that aluminum and non-stick were mutually exclusive - they're not. Actually, to the contrary: I think virtually all non-stick coated cookware is aluminum, particularly better quality stuff. The Anolon set you linked is aluminum. Calphalon is typically the go-to name here with high brand recognition and a premium cachet. Their dark, brushed-aluminum anodized look is also distinctive. More serious cooks might
uhoh.gif
at the nonstick stipulation, but if that's what your mom wants and is used to, then get her what she wants.

jobro

Reaction score
Esteele saucepans. My grandmas mum had one, my grandma has two, my mum has a few and I do too.

And they've all lasted very very well. Esteel has provided replacement handles for all of them free of charge. I do suggest however that you get some replacement handles before the model is superseded as they can be hard to come by if they're a 10+ year old model.

+1 for stainless steel. Non stick does come in handy but I tend to use Stainless steel most of the time.

EDIT: Just had a look and they seem to be only available in Australia.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending how old your mother is le creuset (or atleast their cast iron which is majority of the line) is too heavy, and slightly more fragile (enamel chipping)

Aluminum is okay if you get NO-non-stick ANODIZED which generally are thicker and has decent mass (for thermal retention) and has alum's good conductivity

though as long as you get anything stainless steel and FULLY cladded (ss-alum-ss) and ss handles (no plastics) should serve you well. calphalon is good brand but there are a few alternatives

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You don't want aluminum on the INSIDE, that is, touching food. On the outside, it is fine. Great, even. Good heat conducter.

Stainless steel is best for the interior.

I don't like Le Crueset for anything but braising. The enamel surface is not a very good browner. Sticks like crazy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't like Le Crueset for anything but braising. The enamel surface is not a very good browner. Sticks like crazy.

sauces? soups? stews?

turboman808

Reaction score
Think most of my pots are from ex girlfriends and the bargain bin at the grocery store.
Obviously I am not much of a cook.

I eat on thousand dollar flatware and gold encrusted plates though.
Obviously way into eating though
laugh.gif

Uker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You don't want aluminum on the INSIDE, that is, touching food. On the outside, it is fine. Great, even. Good heat conducter.

Stainless steel is best for the interior.

Thats what I meant about aluminum, I don't want aluminum or steel interior, etc.

Thanks for your pretentious post though Douglas. really appreciate that.

And are you guys saying that Calphalon > analon?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a stainless interior. The very best cooper cookware uses a stainless cooking surface. It is the "best."

That is, it is the best if you don't want non-stick. Regular and non-stick both have their uses. I use both. It depends on what I am making. I generally prefer regular and use it much more. But there are certain things for which you absolutely must have a non-stick pan. Only the most dyed-in-the-wool paleo-Frog chef would cook an omelet in a regular steel pan, for instance.

At the school I attended, certain instructors thought that only losers and pussies ever use non-stick, but they were in the minority. My teacher -- a real hard-ass frog -- taught us to do omelets in non-stick pans.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uker
Thats what I meant about aluminum, I don't want aluminum or steel interior, etc. Thanks for your pretentious post though Douglas. really appreciate that. And are you guys saying that Calphalon > analon?
Whaaaa? My post is pretentious? I told you to get her what she wants, and unlike the other posts here, I am the only one who recommended what you actually asked for; e.g. non-stick. You do realize that nobody else has actually given you a non-stick recommendation, right? I give you the only real, serious advice in the thread that meets your stipulations and you call me out? I give up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Whaaaa? My post is pretentious? I told you to get her what she wants, and unlike the other posts here, I am the only one who recommended what you actually asked for; e.g. non-stick. You do realize that nobody else has actually given you a non-stick recommendation, right?

I give you the only real, serious advice in the thread that meets your stipulations and you call me out? I give up.

STFU you pretentious dick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads