• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potentially stupid question about hemming suit pants

polarbear

Reaction score
I recently took a pair of pants to a local tailor (i needed them hemmed fast, in like 3 hours) and it seems to me that the stitching is *very* noticeable on the hem line. For such a simple alteration, is there a standard way this is done? Is this normal, or have I just not been paying attention? The thread used on this particular pair of pants seems to be almost like a very fine fishing line--plastic-like. Seemed odd.

Do you have to ask questions of the tailor about this sort of thing?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The plastic thread does seem to leave a more pronounced line than cotton thread. I had a loose cuff hem repaired at my cleaners and they used that stuff (my regular tailor uses cotton). I had them do it over with cotton thread. I've since noticed that they'd used the plastic thread on previous repairs but the trousers were cuffed so the line wasn't noticeable. I plan to request cotton thread on all future repairs.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My guess is that he used a blindstitch machine which does use a thread that is a bit plasticky. I see this problem as another reason to get cuffs, but if you don't like them, will has given you the best advice possible.

polarbear

Reaction score
see if these help. maybe it's all my imagination...

[EDIT: sounds like the way to go is to request cotton stitching. is a blindstitch machine still used in this instance?]

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One my tailor’s seamstresses told me that the depth on a blind stitch machine could be adjusted. Even a miniscule amount of extra depth can result in a "see-through" or shadow that is not visible up close. However, that shadow is quite noticeable from more than eighteen inches away.

EDIT: You posted at the same moment as I did. That's definitely a blind stitch. The problem is much as the seamstress described.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the "thread" used here is transparent so as not to carry many colors.
the sewing looks as though an amateur did it. the blind stitch machine
can be adjusted to do a very fine stitch.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear

[EDIT: sounds like the way to go is to request cotton stitching. is a blindstitch machine still used in this instance?]

Yes, this looks bad. A good hem can be done with that invisible monofilament thread, but I prefer to use the right color of cotton/poly. (By hand, though)

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear

Yes it is nylon thread machine made... and they look bad

I learned to do my own cuffs long ago and I allways do them by hand and carefully... And this is because I am very picky with this detail...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads