• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potential relocation: Philadelphia

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is high on the list for a number of reasons, but I don't know much about the city. I've spent some time there, but I wouldn't know where to start to look for a place to live. I've been to Old City, and I like that area, but is it affordable? Are there other areas we should consider?

We were originally looking at Chicago's West Loop or River North areas (still on the table), so our budget would be similar ($2000 for rent if we have to go that high). We want something like a large 1bdrm or less spacious 2bdrm (1100sqft minimum, I'd guess), something somewhat unique (not just out of college kind of living), a nice kitchen, some reasonable parking situation, and definitely walking distance to public transportation and stuff to do (restaurants, parks, bars/clubs, etc). Any ideas what neighborhoods we should check out? We are a mid to late 20's couple and don't know a soul in Philly, so we'd have to be near places we could easily socialize. Also, her job would be downtown, and I work from home.

This would ideally be a temporary 12-month lease at which point we'd have the area figured out and make a purchase if we decided to stay longer term.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The city that the left the Liberty Bell cracked /
Where the Constitution's release party was held at

mano

Reaction score
Check out the Northern Liberties section. Might be just what you're looking for.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track with Old City, which to my mind encompasses the area bounded by Market and South, and 1st and 10th. Old City probably has the highest concentration of bars and clubs in the city, ranging from upscale to dives. A lot of good, friendly neighborhood bars around that area. It's also a hell of a lot more charming than any other neighborhood in the city.

Rittenhouse Sq. is probably the other neighborhood that will come up if your wife is working downtown. What's her work address exactly? If she's working on 19ish and Market, Rittenhouse would be just a 5 minute walk to work. Im not big on the high rises in Rittenhouse, but there's some older buildings all around on the side-streets that would be cool places to live. Rittenhouse is a little more yuppified than Old City, it's got a little less soul. That's my main beef. There are some good resturants and bars, but not as many within walking distance as Old City.

I havent shopped around rent prices in a while, but I am almost positive you can get a pretty nice 1-bedroom for around $1500-$2000 in either of those areas. Rent is still pretty cheap in Philly, it's one of the best parts about the city.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions..

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to factor the city wage tax into your calculations!

And public transportation is weak in Philly.

Otherwise, it's nice. I'll let actual current residents speak to the rental situation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Isn't Rittenhouse the most expensive area to live in Center City?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
If you're cool paying $2k for a large one-bedroom, actually, you have tons of options. There are condos galore going up all over Center City that should be doable at that price, and plenty of apartments. You should be able to find decent housing in Old City at that price, unless things have changed a lot in the two years since my fiancee and I last had to go apartment hunting.

The only thing that I would caution you on with Old City is that parking may be a serious pain. You'll probably end up having to rent a spot in a parking garage, which can cost a couple hundred a month at most places.

Rittenhouse also has all the things you're looking for in Old City, as someone else noted. Parking will be pretty much the same.

You could also consider a house in some of the nearby suburbs, where parking would be much easier, especially if you're near one of the regional rail lines. DDML lives in East Falls, for example, which is nice, and only about 7 miles away from Center City.

Feel free to PM me if you have any area-specific questions. I can't promise I'll know the answer, but if I do, I'll gladly help.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has any1 here, seen Whoopee, at La Colombe?

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
So this is high on the list for a number of reasons, but I don't know much about the city. I've spent some time there, but I wouldn't know where to start to look for a place to live. I've been to Old City, and I like that area, but is it affordable? Are there other areas we should consider?

By best advise is to refer you to PhillyBlog (http://www.phillyblog.com/) and get you interacting with the experts on that site. This topic is a constant one there and you can get some true local/insider info on specific neighborhoods.

I think you will find many options in Center City (CC) at your price point and as 20-somethings that is where you'd be amongst your peers.

mano

Reaction score
Philly is a city the residents love to hate, but after having lived right across the Hudson from NYC and also in LA, I have to say Philadelphia, while not necessarily a world class city, certainly has what most anyone could want. The Rodin Museam, Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Franklin Insitute are all very good. And of course, there's the Mummer's Museum in south Philly, not far from the Italian Market. The historical area speaks for itself and there's plenty of night life and some lovely outdoor settings. Similar to NYC, Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods. Center City has excellent stores, restaurants, clubs and venues for plays and concerts, most within walking distance.

As a foodie, I'm impressed with the restaurants and the fact that Philadelphia attracts and grows some excellent chefs. Because obtaining a liquor license is so expensive, there's a surgance of very good and even excellent BYOB restaurants. This makes drinking fine wine much more affordable.

FWIW, liquor and wine is sold only through commonwealth owned stores and prices are sometimes high and selection limited. However that has been changing and through the huge buying power of the commonwealth we've enjoyed by some amazing bargains of terrific wines.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation, so I just caught up with these tips. When we have more firm plans (within the next week or two), I may return to the thread or send out some PM's with some more questions.

Thanks again.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mano
Philly is a city the residents love to hate, but after having lived right across the Hudson from NYC and also in LA, I have to say Philadelphia, while not necessarily a world class city, certainly has what most anyone could want. The Rodin Museam, Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Franklin Insitute are all very good. And of course, there's the Mummer's Museum in south Philly, not far from the Italian Market. The historical area speaks for itself and there's plenty of night life and some lovely outdoor settings. Similar to NYC, Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods. Center City has excellent stores, restaurants, clubs and venues for plays and concerts, most within walking distance.

As a foodie, I'm impressed with the restaurants and the fact that Philadelphia attracts and grows some excellent chefs. Because obtaining a liquor license is so expensive, there's a surgance of very good and even excellent BYOB restaurants. This makes drinking fine wine much more affordable.

FWIW, liquor and wine is sold only through commonwealth owned stores and prices are sometimes high and selection limited. However that has been changing and through the huge buying power of the commonwealth we've enjoyed by some amazing bargains of terrific wines.

I agree. For wine, though, stay away from the state-owned stores. As we speak, I'm being given a long go-around by state employees for returning a bottle of wine that is thoroughly maderized. And IMO the selection is horrible. Moore Brothers right across the border in Jersey is great though with very limited choices, but there are several first-rate retailers who will ship to PA.

FWIW, I live in West Rittenhouse, mainly for convenience to my school. I'm pretty happy with my building, which may fit into your price range, and there are a couple others around here that certainly do. Many of the residents are grad students in U City. This area isn't as lively at night as Old City, which is either good or bad. But Old City is only a sub $10 cab ride and 10 min away. Pretty much everything in Center City is.

PM me if you want to know more. I haven't been around SF for a while and need to start catching up!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads