• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Posting same topic here and on AAAC forums??

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Things finally went past the tipping point. The gross attachment to correctness was bound to rid the forum of all interesting posters sooner or later.
While I appreciate your viewpoint and understand what you mean that was not primarily my concern...

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Things finally went past the tipping point. The gross attachment to correctness was bound to rid the forum of all interesting posters sooner or later.

Correctness? I disagree. I think they are against anything that may seem superior to potential members.
So they keep the chat as egalitarian as possible and focused on somewhat easily attainable clothes. I think the rise of Cruiser exemplifies that perfectly.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the banning of the terms "slob" and "slobwear" were very symbolic of the new order of things at AAAC. Last time I looked, the term "snob" (one of Cruiser's favorite epithets, usually in "hateful snob") remained uncensored.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Correctness? I disagree. I think they are against anything that may seem superior to potential members. So they keep the chat as egalitarian as possible and focused on somewhat easily attainable clothes. Think the rise of Cruiser exemplifies that perfectly.
"Think" or "thank"? You know, I may have to resort to a $100.00 suit, and I may post about it either here or there but I am not going to brag about it...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I think the banning of the terms "slob" and "slobwear" were very symbolic of the new order of things at AAAC. Last time I looked, the term "snob" (one of Cruiser's favorite epithets, usually in "hateful snob") remained uncensored.
Well, I like to think that that is what the "twit filter" is for... I turned mine off the other day for a while and got pretty aggravated pretty fast. I have turned it back on now...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to post fairly frequently on AAAC, now I post MUCH more over here.

The atmosphere is often feels very flat at AAAC, for a variety of reasons, and I do agree that this has worsened over recent months, whereas SF seems to be moving ever upwards, the occasional Kasper-clone aside....
smile.gif

Just take a look at the respective WAYWRN threads, and it tells you something about the relative life of the two forums.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Correctness? I disagree. I think they are against anything that may seem superior to potential members.
So they keep the chat as egalitarian as possible and focused on somewhat easily attainable clothes. I think the rise of Cruiser exemplifies that perfectly.

This is an interesting point. It just seems so ruthlessly practical these days, without much passion for the clothes themselves. Buy a blazer, because everyone should have a blazer, but don't spend too much. Any blazer, doesn't matter, because then you'll have a blazer. Try Jos. A. Bank. That's fine for folks on a budget, but now it seems there's a presumption that everyone, regardless of situation, would be better off that way. I'm as value-oriented as anyone on these boards, but even I find it odd to have a clothing forum that tries to talk people into buying lesser-quality clothing.

Not long ago, some posters were horrified by the very mention of "shoe Appreciation," yet that's exactly what the place needs -- enthusiasm for the clothes, rather than a dull sense of gentlemanly obligation. It's revealing, I think, that photos are almost never posted there, at least in the men's clothing forum. Here, every day is Christmas morning for someone.

I give the Trads this: At least most of 'em are into being Trads, rather than simply getting up and donning shirt and tie just because they feel they ought to.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
...I'm as value-oriented as anyone on these boards, but even I find it odd to have a clothing forum that tries to talk people into buying lesser-quality clothing...
Yes, I agree. You know, I do not spend much time at the London Lounge as the layout does not display too well on my obsolescent CTR, but I noticed the other day that their logon screen has a mission statement that says something to the effect that their members will strive to uphold the highest standards of sartorial excellence. I think that is very good and I believe that the trend we are observing at AAAC unfortunately does not reflect this. Thankfully, there is not much discussion of wearing $100 suits by choice over at the LL...

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really?

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
That was my post, entitled "The Slobb Report" and the ensuing conversation about my co-workers changing clothes immediately after Thanksgiving dinner that led to the word "slob" being banned.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
That was my post, entitled "The Slobb Report" and the ensuing conversation about my co-workers changing clothes immediately after Thanksgiving dinner that led to the word "slob" being banned.
Yes, I remember that now. That led to quite a brouhaha, did it not? I would probably use the term "Streetwear" to refer to that type of attire now...
After that, I looked both the "s-word" and "Amjack" up in the dictionary and I was interested to see that both terms involved elements of appearance and elements of negative behavior. Most of my associates dress that way and, while they have the elements of appearance, the elements of negative behavior were completely lacking...

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searching for "snob" by username "cruiser" at AAAC was enlightening.

I'd rather watch the trad starfish, though. Like the one with the red sneakers.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I'd rather watch the trad starfish, though. Like the one with the red sneakers.

Haha the kid, who is still in high school, also posts here and over at superfuture. Hardly a trad IMO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind duplicate threads on AAAC and SF but I tend not to post on both threads.

Lately I've found myself reading and posting on SF much more than AAAC. I like both fora but SF posters seem to provide more interesting commentary and a wider variety of topics for discussion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads