Postgraduate law studies - Oxford or Sciences Po?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Mr.P, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P Senior member

I have been accepted to study for the Masters in Economic Law at Sciences Po Paris and for the BCL at Oxford. Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm planning on a career in commercial law, but I have a particular interest in the developing world, and I have some research interests in this area that both programmes would cater for. I suppose it comes down to career prospects, but I would appreciate any advice.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Active Member

It seems like they're pretty evenly matched, so which one is cheaper/offering you more money?

3. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

without knowing anything about both programs, i'd sort of disagree that both schools are evenly matched. oxford's global reputation is miles ahead of science po (and that comes from a francophone).

4. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

Oxford probably. Science Po is only well known in Europe, while Oxford is well known throughout the world.

5. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

In both cases it's a flimsy degree from a good school so I don't think it makes much of a difference which one you choose. If this was an actual professional degree you were talking about it might make more of a difference.

6. marmottan

marmottan Well-Known Member

The two only questions are: where do you want to work and what do you want to do exactly?
    Having a strong "interest in the developing world" is quite vague.
    For instance, if you want working in or with some former French colonies in Africa: Sciences Po may be the best choice.

Also, what is your academic background?