• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Postage Costs

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I recently moved from NY to England and I am simply blown away by how much it costs to mail things here.

For example, today I mailed a few items, for a pair of cufflinks (they weighed 17g/0.5oz) I was charged £3.30 ($5) this was without tracking, for a tracking number the price was £8/9 ($12/13)

These items were mailed from London to the US.

I'm sure many know but in the US to mail these items would be far cheaper (although maybe not if sent priority mail international.....)

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I am just wondering if people could offer some insight into what options I have?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Here are a fwe of my thoughts..[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]> No more free shipping
> Minimum order before free shipping
> Increase prices
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Anyone have ideas? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any questions? Feel free to ask.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thanks.[/FONT]

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I've always been amazed at how ridiculously cheap the US Post Office is. I have nothing useful to add to this discussion.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've always been amazed at how ridiculously cheap the US Post Office is. I have nothing useful to add to this discussion.

You can say that again! Haha. I regularly sent stuff to australia and the far east for pennies.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

And reliable too. When was the last time you had a letter get lost? Its ******* ridiculous.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

And reliable too. When was the last time you had a letter get lost? Its ******* ridiculous.

I've only had one letter lost.

I don't like your sarcasm, Rambo.

cliff_claven.jpg

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Funny enough I never had anything lost (touchwood) I once sent a package to Canada instead of California, 5 weeks later it turned up in California at the guys doorstep. I wonder how many miles that package travelled....

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder if that's the case for the rest of Europe, or even Canada. Oh, and don't forget about mail strikes. Royal Mail and Canada Post both had week-long strikes in the last few years, while I don't recall a USPS strike in recent memory.

Congrats on the move. I hope you're enjoying England. Any reason for the move?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
England is rainy.

Both my family and my wife's live in England, we were only in the US for 2 years just chilling after we got married!!!

Funny you should mention that, Royal Mail strikes all the time and charges crazy amounts whereas the USPS never strike and charge nothing! Interesting.... Don't forget VAT is 20% and if it costs $10 in the US it costs 10 pounds in the UK... crazy.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it not be easier to just charge whatever it costs to the post the item?

I never quite understood the free shipping to continental US from private sellers but now it's explained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads