• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up a flash bracket, another wireless receiver, and a small beauty dish today. I can't wait to get some shots in.

Szeph, I was actually thinking of getting that lens or the sigma 50-150 for my next lens. How does it do at the 50 end of things?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_26281.jpg

Nikon D300, 16-85mm, SB-800 Speedlight

practicing and learning in progress!

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
Szeph, I was actually thinking of getting that lens or the sigma 50-150 for my next lens. How does it do at the 50 end of things?
I think quite good. If you want I can do some comparison shots with it and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 when I get home tonight.

Originally Posted by stu00a
Nikon D300, 16-85mm, SB-800 Speedlight

practicing and learning in progress!

A curious question. What effect has the flash on that picture? I'd guess the distance is too far to see any effects of illuminating the scene with the flash.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome Szeph. Also I was wondering how a flash could have an effect on something so far away.
It's the down and dirty way to get enough shutter speed for a handheld shot in auto mode. Then it's a quick fix in PS to get something worthwhile. I'll do this when I'm chasing storms and have no time to setup a tripod or set the manual controls in weird light conditions. Now with that said the EXIF data says the shot above was made at f8 1/15 second in aperture priority mode. I have no idea why the flash was used as well. LOL.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Too late...
Hey, congrats on finally pulling the trigger! My 20D and I are jealous.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Hey, congrats on finally pulling the trigger! Me and my 20D are jealous.
Thanks. I would have liked one of those a few years ago. The swivel screen (?) is great, and huge compared with the 350D.
pUZSl.jpg

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a second-hand Nikon d700 and see them advertised for around 800-1200 euro. A new one would be about 2200 euro. What's a good price for it? To be honest, I'm looking for any Nikon full-frame, but the D3s and D3x are both over 4k, which is a little out of my budget.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
It's the down and dirty way to get enough shutter speed for a handheld shot in auto mode. Then it's a quick fix in PS to get something worthwhile. I'll do this when I'm chasing storms and have no time to setup a tripod or set the manual controls in weird light conditions.

Now with that said the EXIF data says the shot above was made at f8 1/15 second in aperture priority mode. I have no idea why the flash was used as well. LOL.

I couldn't get the shutter speed and I used slowsink mode.

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
The second one seems really nice, but I have an old 70-300 of which I use the 200-300mm reach a lot (in the zoo, for instance), so I'd rather have an update with that same reach.

For a cheap upgrade I highly recommend an old 100-300 f/5.6L. They can be had anywhere from $250 - $450, I got mine for $350 I think. While the AF is not nearly as fast as USM, and f/5.6 is slower then ideal, the optics are super sharp L quality. I mostly use primes on the telephoto end (200 2.8, 300 2.8, & 400 5.6) and my usual walk around lens is a tamron 28-75 2.8. But I still pull on my 100-300L when I want to bring just one tele lens somewhere (like the zoo).

They are somewhat hard to find, but occasionally they pop up here. That's where I got mine.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iphone pic of one of my dream homes here in Toronto. I'm actually quite pleased how it came out.
5802960694_49f5c8506e_z.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
For a cheap upgrade I highly recommend an old 100-300 f/5.6L. They can be had anywhere from $250 - $450, I got mine for $350 I think. While the AF is not nearly as fast as USM, and f/5.6 is slower then ideal, the optics are super sharp L quality. I mostly use primes on the telephoto end (200 2.8, 300 2.8, & 400 5.6) and my usual walk around lens is a tamron 28-75 2.8. But I still pull on my 100-300L when I want to bring just one tele lens somewhere (like the zoo).

They are somewhat hard to find, but occasionally they pop up here. That's where I got mine.

Thanks, great tip.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the shot was made offhand?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a flower on my way to class. Lighting was spot on.
Wow, the colors really pop. Did you use any post editing? I'll put my comparison of the lens online tomorrow. I came home at 11:30 pm and with ISO 400 you don't get that great comparison shots.
You could have shot in manual mode I guess? I turn more and more to manual when AV or TV don't give the desired results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads