Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

4. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I should scan in my black and white prints.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I should scan in my black and white prints.

Do. Developed them yourself? (I've never done that, since I started in the digital era, but it has always fascinated me.)

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Yea I took a photo 1 class last semester and we have a whole BW darkroom set up. It's really hard to go back to digital after making prints from film, but the amount of time one print can eat up is really astounding.

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Yea I took a photo 1 class last semester and we have a whole BW darkroom set up. It's really hard to go back to digital after making prints from film, but the amount of time one print can eat up is really astounding.

Photography class? Great. Please scan and show some.

8. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

This is a photo a friend took of me a few years ago. needs some cropping and Id say some dodging would have been good, but overall I think its pretty cool.

[​IMG]

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

This is a photo a friend took of me a few years ago. needs some cropping and Id say some dodging would have been good, but overall I think its pretty cool.

http://i.imgur.com/QT7al.jpg

I like it. A bit to the right would have been great because of the shadow, though I like the cropped shadow as well (because of the cropped arm). I'd like to see what crop you would make; lose some on the left and bottom?
    It has a colour cast (magenta) though, doesn't it?

10. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

The framing of the photo is a consequence of how fast I was riding my skateboard at the time and his ability to react to my movement. Ideally, I would open up the photo on the right. Right now the subject is too centered for my tastes. I would definitely remove a chunk from the bottom.

There is actually no tint. It's just a crappy scan. I have to go find the print, but there might also be some leftover chemicals that may have stained the paper.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

The framing of the photo is a consequence of how fast I was riding my skateboard at the time and his ability to react to my movement. Ideally, I would open up the photo on the right. Right now the subject is too centered for my tastes. I would definitely remove a chunk from the bottom.

Yes, that's what I thought. I'd crop a chunk from the left too (up to the arm), moves it out of the center as well.

There is actually no tint. It's just a crappy scan. I have to go find the print, but there might also be some leftover chemicals that may have stained the paper.

Yes, I thought it was the scan.

12. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

[​IMG]

A photo I took of my gramps. I wish I could scan it in but my scanner is broken right now. A print I did on Ilford fiber glossy paper.

In retrospect, I would up the contrast in this photo a tiny bit.

13. trader

trader Senior member

so i was out shooting earlier this week and i forgot to zip up my backpack and this lens fell out onto the pavement from over a meter high while i was standing :S luckily it fell on the back end and the plastic cap broke but the lens seems to be fine. i was in a moment of shock though [​IMG] i took this photo the next day so it seems to be working okay. its entirely made of metal so i'm sure that helped. also doesn't have any parts inside like auto-focus or image stabilization cause those probably would've been toast. ashamed to say that this isn't the first time i forgot to zip up that same bag.... (but hopefully my last) [​IMG]

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Great pics, trader. Nice gear too: 5D and 60D. Do you like the 60D?

15. trader

trader Senior member

Thanks. I dig your stuff too, especially since I'm really into macro.

Even though the 60D gets so much hate from canon users I think it's a great camera. I didn't get the 7D cause I don't need its AF system or machine gun shooting abilities. I don't mind that it's plastic. That issue is so overblown. And I think the swivel screen is awesome. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. Really handy for macro work and different perspective shots. Whenever I'm out shooting with my 5D2 there's always moments I wish it had a swivel screen. Maybe on the 5D3? It's also great for video work but I don't really do much of that.

I think it's a great upgrade from a 30D or lower, XSi and lower, or someone just getting into DSLRs. You won't need to upgrade for a LONG time. The 7D might be too hard to use for beginners cause the learning curve is steep. All these cameras are pretty much reaching their limits in technology right now so anything someone buys now won't be old tech for a long time unless something major happens.