Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67 Senior member

And a couple from my gun collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now those are some fine guns

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Had a photogenic friend show up today, though my ugly mug apparently kept scaring him off... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

might as well put this here instead of starting a new thread. if anyone lives close enough to san francisco to make a trip and has any interest in photography at all, the SF museum of modern art has some awesome photography exhibits going right now. robert frank's 'the americans' is on display; some awesome, groundbreaking documentary work. the richard avedon exhibit just opened last week; one of the greatest portrait photographers and used 8x10" negatives most of the time so the prints are giant. like 4-5 feet tall. there's also some ansel adams stuff on display, but it's an extra $5 to see that.

just an awesome lineup of legendary photographers all under one roof.

4. gregor

gregor Senior member

Someone should start a photo gear thread if their isn't one already!!

5. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

might as well put this here instead of starting a new thread. if anyone lives close enough to san francisco to make a trip and has any interest in photography at all, the SF museum of modern art has some awesome photography exhibits going right now. robert frank's 'the americans' is on display; some awesome, groundbreaking documentary work. the richard avedon exhibit just opened last week; one of the greatest portrait photographers and used 8x10" negatives most of the time so the prints are giant. like 4-5 feet tall. there's also some ansel adams stuff on display, but it's an extra $5 to see that.

just an awesome lineup of legendary photographers all under one roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

So someone explain to me:

I understand RAW format, but is it really noticeably superior to a camera shooting very low-compression JPEG? Seems like the lens and sensor would have more effect on the product than format in most cases.

Or I'm just an idiot.

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Had a photogenic friend show up today, though my ugly mug apparently kept scaring him off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice!

I love good macro photos.

Would you know what camera and lens these pics were shot with?

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

So someone explain to me: I understand RAW format, but is it really noticeably superior to a camera shooting very low-compression JPEG? Seems like the lens and sensor would have more effect on the product than format in most cases. Or I'm just an idiot.
    It's more noticeable when you're blowing things up and/or throwing in some special editing. Otherwise, for the kind of stuff you're throwing up on here it's almost negligible.

9. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

It's more noticeable when you're blowing things up and/or throwing in some special editing. Otherwise, for the kind of stuff you're throwing up on here it's almost negligible.
    That's what I figured. I'm not savvy on complex editing, though I've lately considered blowing some prints up. On higher ISO shots, I've been fine Photoshopping JPEG artifacts when printing.
    Nice! I love good macro photos. Would you know what camera and lens these pics were shot with?
    Why I may indeed, good chap. It was shot using a Kodak 'ZD8612 IS'. A lowly bridge camera with a decent integrated lens. Wasn't shooting macro, either. I was a good distance away at almost the full 12x zoom. Learned a good 'depth of field' lesson with those shots. Damn Photobucket's ridiculous JPEG'n, though. I've found that today's bridge cameras have a lot of room for moderate photographers, but have a few severely lacking areas that can hold someone back from truly great shots (manual focus, better high-ISO shots, RAW, battery life, etc.). While prices are competitive to base-model DSL-R's, I am left wanting. Guess I'll have to wait until The Messiah runs again in 2012 with Captain Planet as a running mate to save the world from ruin and my bank account from bankruptcy.

10. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Playing with longer exposures: [​IMG] And thought this shot didn't look shabby desaturated: [​IMG]

11. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

A couple of modest entries, with a Sony compact point and shoot. I hope to be offering some better pics soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Late night antics...

15. wisie

wisie Active Member

Damn just noticed this thread and skimmed through, some talented people in here. [​IMG] One from last week, a 10 minute exposure on sunset the same location as my DP actually.