1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member

Like I said, I think the long-term trend is toward mirrorless and the potential of the technology suggests there will be little reason to keep using SLRs. I'm not talking about a specific model, though I think the NEX line is a good indicator of what's possible. So, while the upcoming full-frame NEX camera is unlikely to serve as a full-on replacement for pro DSLRS like the 5D or D800, the features that separate them (like weather sealing) will not represent any real technical barriers. It will be more about about whether any of the manufacturers want to make a pro-level mirrorless camera, not whether they can.

So, I don't think the limitations of the current line-up of NEX lenses really matter. Beyond the fact that we are talking about fundamental advances in technology that will affect the entire digital camera industry, not just one line of cameras from one company, the appeal of NEX cameras is largely that they can accept pretty much any lens you can think of. I would buy one to use with my Leica M lenses, not for the native Zeiss options.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member

As far as the question of artistic composition versus image quality versus equipment expense, I take a different line--as you can observe from my artistically vapid pictures. I see no fault in simply wanting better image quality (or a different sort of image), and being willing to pay for it.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think this statement is generally true. On recent photo outings to the zoo and to the DC monuments, these two categories composed the vast majority of the cameras I saw, with DSLRs dominating. I did a lot of research on a camera to buy for an upcoming safari, however, and decided to go with a superzoom (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150) after initially thinking I was going to get a DSLR. I didn't want the added expense and hassle of bringing multiple lenses that I would have to switch out. I'm under no illusion that my photographs are going to be as good as ones taken with a DSLR, but I'm not selling them to National Geographic either.

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

And that's a perfectly acceptable reason in and of itself Foo. You made a decision with your eyes open which unfortunately a lot of people don't do. Back in the film days if you had a decent body you worried about glass more than anything else.

These days it's megapixels, HDR, sweep panorama, a bizzilion scene settings, movie capabilities, GPS stamping, wireless uploads, hyper ISO settings and so on. Most of the time all this "cool" stuff is coupled with a POS kit lens and guess what you end up with? Garbage. We can go back and forth all day long about the technology but in the end the glass on the business end of the camera means more than anything else. A camera does nothing other than capture light.

Here's my take on the whole digital technology thing. I look at features this way. Does it make my job as a photographer easier or harder? Do the features help get the equipment out of my way so I can concentrate on just making the picture? If they make my job easier then it's a system I will look at. I look at about 7 things very carefully. Is the body sealed or not? What native system lenses are available? What is the ISO and shutter speed range? Does it shoot RAW? Are the primary manual controls easy to find and use? Does it have enough megapixels to get the job done adequately? How many clicks is the shutter rated for?

Everything else is fluff IMO and sometimes that fluff costs a lot of money.

You shoot a Leica M3 film camera right? In some circles that body is considered the best that's ever been built. No doubt the glass is some of the best there is as well. Oh and just for the sake of history. Did you know that Leica was so impressed with Minolta's lens making abilities that they actually had Minolta build there lenses for years?

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member

I'm shooting a Leica MP with a 50mm Summilux ASPH. I've heard the same about the M3, but I wanted a new body, and preferred to have an internal light meter.

I agree too many people buy the "best" of something without understanding how to use it. Months ago I was at a camera store in NYC looking at lenses when a guy came in to pick-up a brand new Noctilux lens ($10k, f/0.95) for his new M9. He asked the salesperson for confirmation, "So, this is the best lens for my camera right? I want the top of the line." It was disgusting. He didn't understand anything about focal length or why such a fast lens is beneficial or why you don't want such a gigantic, niche lens as your main glass. He just cared that it was the "best." I can only assume the idiot doesn't even realize his M9 isn't an SLR.

6. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

7. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  8. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

[​IMG]
    Alicia and her new Friend. by Bill Smith1, on Flickr

Camera: Mamyia C220f Twin Lens Reflex media format camera with a 105 f3.5 Sekor Lens
    Film: Ilford HP5 400 processed in Ilfotec DDX 1+4.
    Model: Alicia S.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

As a second generation Leica M3 owner (it belonged to my dad), I think you will be very happy with it. I use a Sekonic L398a meter to measure exposure. If you're going Mamiya, look at the 220/330 series TLR's they are nice workhorses and while heavy, they are not as heavy as RB67s

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It's funny you mention a Sekonic meter. I found a working Studio Deluxe L-28c2 at a thrift store for 5 bucks. I'm thinking if I do get an M3 I'm going to find an MR Leicameter for it. I'm told it's a really good way to go and the advantages of a coupled meter are pretty obvious. The two Mamiyas you mentioned above are they 6 by 6 or 6 by 7? I would like to use 6 by 7 but that leaves me with the Mamiya 7 as my only real option that I'm aware of.

I like the shot you made above. Good job. I can only imagine what the actual print looks like. There's just nothing quite like a good film shot especially if the prints are done with optical equipment.

11. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Some older shots with a Nikon D60:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Another option for the M3 is the clip on Voightlander meter, it's not coupled like the Leica MR but it's a nice one so I'm told. I'm so used to using the L398a, I don't even miss the clip on meter on my M3.

Are you looking for a medium format rangefinder or SLR?

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Doesn't matter as long as good glass is available. When it comes down to it what I'm looking for is a medium format camera that uses the 6X7 configuration. Pentax made what looks like a decent 6X7 and the prices are certainly attractive for the body and lenses. Just need to make sure to get one with a mirror lockup for those long exposure shots. This camera's main use will be for landscapes with some portraiture in ambient light as well.

My main film system these days revolves around the Minolta SRT bodies. I have a very early production SRT 101, a 102 with mirror lockup and an MCII. I got a bunch of glass for it including the soft focus 85, a 1.2f 50 and the tilt shift 35. The Leica will be an addition to my 35 mm equipment but I don't think it's ever going to replace my Minolta gear. LOL! It will look good next to my 1958 Zeiss for sure!

Anyway whatchya think about the Pentax 67?

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Nice!

16. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

17. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

soul to the heart indeed :slayer:

18. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

:nodding: someone told me what the saying was, but I like my title better... adds character haha :rotflmao:

19. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

[​IMG]

"Double Guitar," on Flickr
    -- double-exposure --

camera: Minolta XD-7
    macro: Soligor MD 35-140mm
    f/3.5, 1/15s
    overlay: Promaster MC 28mm
    f/2.8, 1s
    film: Ilford Delta 100 Pro
    scan: from negative on Imacon 949

[​IMG]

"White Tulip," on Flickr
    exposure: f/8, (? - I forget) @ ISO 100
    camera: OIympus C3040Z

[​IMG]

"Sarah Z," on Flickr and Model Mayhem
    exposure: f/5.6, 1/1000s
    camera: Minolta XD-7
    lens: Minolta Rokkor-X 45mm f/2, with CPL filter
    film: Ilford Delta 400 Pro

20. go0gle

go0gle Active Member

I feel like a lot of the DSLRs hanging on peoples necks don't really belong there.. but it might be a wrong feeling. I know my "talent" level .. a DSLR exceeds it by quite a bit :) But I do have one.. funny part is that I got it when I had no idea what I am doing.

That is beautiful.. and it will be tricky for a digital cam, great DR. I have a canon F1... should use it more often,

Whatever works best.. fz150 will be fine for your trip I think, you do need zoom so that would be perfect. And you have to balance weight vs. pic quality on trips like that I guess. The last time I went hiking in Yosemite I didn't even take my dslr.. my phone did just fine for my needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012