Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Shoot everyday, and be critical about what you like and don't like about your photos. Here is one method, and the Leica part is optional, but definitely use only 1 camera, 1 fixed focal-length lens (no zooms!) and 1 kind of film:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/05/a-leica-year.html

Also, look at great photographs and try to figure out why you like them, and see if you can replicate what you like on your own.

And sometimes it's good to have fairly severe and hard constraints because that actually forces you to be more creative than if you had complete freedom. For example, pick a theme for a few weeks ("photograph something so it looks like it's the only thing in the world") and try to fulfill it.

Also, have a good technical understanding of how photography works --- exposure, light, f-stops, etc.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Thank you sir. I will start doing this, but with a panasonic 3/4ths and the small lens it came with. Anyone care to see my progression? (Note: I may shoot in color and b/w)

3. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Sure. Post away.

4. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

that is actually one hell of a cool method! I want to try that now but

a) I don't have a leica
    b) My film camera broke :(

But if I had the time and was not in 11th grade studying, and trrying to do well on the SATs and etc... etc... I definitely have to try this soon though.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

using a panasonic g1 lens is 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6.

I really will take any criticism. I am also under no pretense that these are good. really open to advice for every stage.

These are the "best" I took since my last post.

This is where I spend about 80% of my time when at home.

[​IMG]

I don't think this photo is any good. I also took one where the tree, not the flower was in focus but I realize it is no good.

[​IMG]

Nice flowers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CDs in my room.
    [​IMG]

I really like photos of my dogs. They are very camera shy, however. Photos are always blurry because they are always moving. I guess I need to learn S priority for that?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dinner.
    [​IMG]

Please don't hold anything back, I mean that. If they are all awful, say so.

One thing I've noticed already is that if I look for little things rather than a big scene, it helps draw my eye to things. "Big" can mean even a plate. Does that make any sense?

Here are color photos of my flowers, except for the one in the tangled stems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

6. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

some while I was waiting to get paid for my photos and then at home with a cat with beautiful eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I completely agree with the above about using a film camera, fixed lens and a single film type.

The first thing it will do is remove all the bells and whistles associated with today's digital cameras. All that extra noise can be very confusing to a beginning photographer and will get in the way of learning how to take a good pic. It is absolutely essential that you understand light and how to manipulate or use it to your advantage. Light is the essence of photography plain and simple. After you understand light then you want to learn composition. Composition is the art of using light, shadow, framing, leading lines, geometry and so on to create your shot. After you learn composition you use aperture and shutter speeds to further define the shot. Not only can you control the amount of light hitting the film/sensor but also the depth of field. Using a fixed focal length lens removes the need to understand things like lens compression and it forces you to move around your subject to compose the image you're after. You'd be surprised on how different things look when you move around a subject. You'll learn how a small adjustment in your position relative to the subject often times can mean the difference between a crap shot or an awesome one. And last but not least using a film camera forces you to think about what you are doing before you do it. Why? There is no instant feedback. Now that can be good or bad but one thing is for sure. The shots you take with a film camera will force you to think things through while a digital camera tends to enforce the shotgun spray and pray method of photography. Which would you rather do? Hope for the best or actually make the shot?

Equipment will not make you a great photographer. A thorough understanding of photographic technique put into practice will. A good photographer can use just about any camera and get world class images at will. The opposite cannot be said.

8. EMY

EMY Senior member

9. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

10. il ciclista

nice one Krp!

I'm doing a self portrait series for school..one set is how i see myself, the other is how people perceive me. (thinking this is going to be bad lol)

feel free to tell me how i look seinfield(ish), like a troll whatever haha ( I just noticed I don't grow hair in the middle of my mustache hahah weird. )

[​IMG]

11. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Thanks il! Love that self portrait! I really wish I was more comfortable in front of a camera... Yearbook will not have a single picture of me haha even though most of the pictures will be taken by me :D!

12. il ciclista

Thanks and I was probably the same way at your age..now I just don't care lol I think the humility that comes with having kids is what did it ;)

13. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

whats a good DSLR camera for a noob, i would like to start taking pictures as im in college and am going to study abroad.

14. il ciclista

wanting something compact?