Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Kas

Kas Distinguished Member

Yes it would; if you choose your exposure so that a picture taken without a flash is completely black, and then adjust your fash to light the hand from the angle you want you would have everything black expect for the parts that your flash-unit has lit. Of course, you do need a relatively dark room for this.

Sample settings for my d7000:

-iso100 (as low as possible)
    -1/320 (flash sync speed)
    -aperture high enough to make the exposure completely black, probably in the range of f/5,6 to f/8.

Now you add the flash-unit and let it shine on the part you want lit, you snoot it to avoid any light getting on the background and you adjust the power on the flash to get the exposure you want: everything will be black expect for the parts you lit with the flash.

2. il ciclista

il ciclista Distinguished Member

Yes, I was thinking this after I posted earlier.I was trying it in the darkest room in the house, which was the bathroom...a small one lol. I'll have to give it another shot tonight in the living room. I don't own a snoot so I'm using a rolled up piece of posterboard lol but it works..Thanks for the idea!

3. Kas

Kas Distinguished Member

Watch out! While your bathroom may be the darkest room, it probably also is the smallest one with the whitest rooms: and that means lots of unwanted bounce-light. Ideally you just have a long room, and you position the model about 3m away from the wall. Might I suggest outside?

Couple of shots from today: Eid ul-fitr at Trafalgar Square in London.
    The end of the Muslim holy month Ramadan is celebrated with Eid ul-fitr. This year it was again celebrated at the foot of Nelson's Column at Trafalgar Square in London, England. Many people took the opportunity to protest against the Syrian regime or celebrate the falls of regimes like Libya, Algeria and Tunisia.

[​IMG]
    Eid at Trafalgar Square 1 by npmeijer, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Eid at Trafalgar Square 3 by npmeijer, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Eid at Trafalgar Square 4 by npmeijer, on Flickr

4. il ciclista

Yes I'm going to try in the dark in my living-room..my patio has this automatic light that won't shut off and it pops on if you walk outside.

I forgot to respond to your post

"As for myself I'm thinking about photojournalism and editorial stuff: from all the pictures I've taken in the past year, the ones that have a story to them mean much more to me than the pretty landscapes, churches, animals and landmarks. I guess that means that I'm growing as a photographer and as a person. But where can I learn about this sort of thing? The technical stuff is covered by strobist.com and I can get the inspiration from the NY times lens blog and world press photo archive - but what are common techniques used? What method achieves a certain effect? Or have I arrived at a point where I am ready to develop my own style, that I'm no longer a young grasshopper?"

I think photojournalism is great, it captures the moment in a natural unstaged scene. I don't think you're "growing up" as a photographer but maybe just finding different interests or finding your niche. There are many landspace photogs that are dedicated to finding those breath taking shots.

As far as learning, all I can give is look at the photographers you like and take certain elements and combine them into your own style.

5. pfurey

pfurey Senior Member

6. il ciclista

Okay, so I redid these and this is what I came up with..the BW one has alot of neg space right now and I haven't sharpened either of them

headline "Something about suicide..don't know exact wording but it's something to do with a call for help "

[​IMG]

Call to action (i suppose) "something along the lines of dealing with the mental health center and counseling..breaking the stigma"

[​IMG]

7. Kas

Kas Distinguished Member

Are these straight from the camera Il Ciclista? Looking very cool!

Pfurey: very impressive! One question: your outdoor pictures sometimes tend to have a blown-out sky - looks alright with the white dress most of the time, but there are certain pics where I think a polarizer would've been better?

8. il ciclista

Thanks Kas, the BW one is processed with nik silver efex pro(added more contrast and highlight sharpness., turned the opacity down to 80% and made the base layer BW..set the levels for printing and that's pretty much it.

The color one is processed with nik color efex pro (c41 cross process option) at 80% as well..set the BW points for printing and that's it.

I think the blown out sky boils down to personal preference in pfurey's pictures..it doesn't distract much and all the photos look overexposed anyways..which is probably what he wanted. Also if you get exposure from a gray card then shoot the subject (which is not as bright as the sky) it usually blows it out..That's a very nice blog, your pictures are excellent pfurey! :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

9. NOBD

NOBD Distinguished Member

10. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior Member

I just got a Nikon D90 a couple weeks ago. First camera I've ever owned (didn't even own a P&S). I still have no idea what I'm doing...but here are a few pictures I've taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

11. Krp480

Krp480 Senior Member

Best advice I can give you is to learn how to shoot in manual. Other than that welcome to the wonderful world of Photography! :D

[​IMG]

12. pfurey

pfurey Senior Member

when shooting people, only focus on their skin. exposure on anything else doesn't matter. also: technical skills are less important than storytelling and personal style, imo.

thanks!

13. il ciclista

do they have the little bars at the bottom you center up to get a good exposure on Canon? In response to the guy with the d90 if you want to put it in Manual mode (M) there is a set of greenish colored bars on the bottom and a dot in the middle..if the bars are to the right of the dot you're underexposed, if they're to the right you're overexposed. All you do is adjust the aperture (3..5,5,8, so on numbers) or the shutter speed (200,400,etc) also you can adjust the ISO..but you want to leave it as low as possible to reduce noise..unless that's what you want of course. Also read some books, take a lot of shots and you'll be on your way.

pfurey, which meter mode do you use?

14. pfurey

pfurey Senior Member

depends on the light. usually spot metering, sometime evaluative. doesn't really matter, imo, as you just need to get in the right range and you'll eventually learn how your camera sees light and be able to adjust that way.

15. trader

trader Senior Member

lately i've been doing a lot of the heavy sun drenched look. too bad summer is gone =/

[​IMG]

it's a set i built. behind the curtain is a strobe with a CTO gel on it to simulate the sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011