Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Kas

Kas Senior member

I'm not sure on how the law works in the US, but I'm assuming it's fairly consistent with Dutch law. As far as I know, if you make a portrait for someone - that someone owns the distribution rights to that picture, thus limiting your rights as the author. How much you want to limit the client's rights is often arranged in a quitclaim. Usually clauses regarding the following are included: duration of contract, description of assignment, distribution (number of prints for example), exclusivity (are you allowed to sell your photo to other clients or use in a book?), processing (is the client allowed to change the picture, if so: how?) and finally what happens if something goes awry beyond your power (fire burns down your hard-drive). I'm sure there's a photographer's federation with a sample quitclaim somewhere.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Other way around. The photographer owns all IP rights unless specifically stated by contract.

3. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Ah, ok! Thanks for that. Well in that case seems pretty complicated so I might as well just ask my moms BF who is a lawyer. Just would rather not ask him since I'm not so fond of him... But if it is the difference of being sued or not I might as well talk to him.

Not at all :D! Honestly the more critique the better. I think it actually looks better that way I just wasn't sure. I mean worst comes to worst I can just go back and re-edit them if he doesn't like them.

4. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

one from my soccer shoot (that i did not want to do because I don't have a tele zoom to do it..sigh)

[​IMG]

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

6. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

[​IMG]

The guys on the left aren't the most interesting part, colourwise.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Took a photo class recently, def a noob. Sorry if I already posted these somewhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. il ciclista

love that 4th one down shore!

Here are some for my photo class aperture, shutter speed. We learned how to set black and white points in curves..which I didn't know how to do. Yay for learning something new! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

9. Krp480

Krp480 Senior member

Loving that first one il! Btw, B&W points in curves? You mean like converting an image to black and white using tonal curves? Or something like that?

10. il ciclista

Krp, Sort of like setting the darkest point of an image and the lightest point too...then you mess with the curves to get it looking the way you want. Basically like an advanced "levels". What you do is make a curves layer then (if using a PC) hit alt then click the black triangle at the bottom and slooowly pull it to the right until you see your first pixel of black. Then you click those eye dropper things( click the middle one) to the left of the curves histogram then go where you think you saw the black dot and hit shift and place the dropper point on it..then you have to go back hitting alt+sliding the black triangle to the right until you see black pixels again (I forgot to mention it makes everything white at first) If you didn't get your point on it then go back and hover the dropper over it hitting shift again to move it. (it also helps if you zoom way in to see the pixels.) Then you do the same thing to the white but look for the first white pixel.

After all of this is set you click the black triangle and make sure it doesn't move then hit the up or down arrow to change the second set of numbers in the RGB example

R 23 1
    G 36 0
    B 45 3

you change the second number to 8

Then go to the white triangle doing the same thing but change the second number to 243.

It basically sets your darkest point and lightest point. A real pain in the ass though. Levels only has like 5 points you can change I think..but curves has 256!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

11. Kas

Kas Senior member

Christmas and Easter fell on the same day: got my Nikon D7000 today and confirmed that I will be doing my internship in London, starting next week probably!

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

[​IMG]

My daughter and my grandfather (her great-grandfather) sharing a moment. :)

13. Alter

Alter Senior member

Great shot, Moo. And congrats on the little one.

14. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Very nice pic Mr. Moo. Great contrast.

I was in the city on the weekend and snatched some things that have catched my eyes.

Without people...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and with people...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Congrats moo, and nice pic!