1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Not really, I've experimented with a few but never really found much practical use for them in the type of photography I do. I understand the results of using one can really be great though, I may have to pick up a few if I ever find some that I like. It seems like the colours in some of my photos appear as though I am using a filter, though; this shot was done with no filter, freehand through a parking garage railing:
    [​IMG]
    I still can't really figure out where the gold tint came from, there's no yellowish lighting at the terminal at Dulles. Some of the other pictures I've taken came out with more of a white colour.

JB

You probably have it on the wrong lighting setting. Most digicams now offer settings that vary the sensitivity of the film to different temperatures of light, from full sunlight to cool halogen and fluorescent lamps.

2. migo

migo Senior member

Just took this HDR this morning...the sky kept on exposing right and everything else was underexposed so i was like meh...bracketed and HDR'd in photoshop;

[​IMG]

3. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

A few I shot the other night off my pier-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JB

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

wow i need yall to take pictures of my suits for me!!! [​IMG]

5. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

6. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

LOL at the monkey!!

A few I shot today, outside all day. It was cold enough that I could literally not switch modes using the dial on my camera due to my hands being numb and frozen, haha.

[​IMG]
    "Speedbird 229 heavy" on final approach from London. Makes me proud to see my former employer [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Delta Airlines charter flight carrying Buffalo Bills

[​IMG]
    Southwest 737

[​IMG]
    AirTran 717.

I used a fully manual, 500x1000 Quantaray lens attached to a Nikon D50, towards the end of the day it started getting harder and harder to keep manually adjusting the lens [​IMG]

JB

7. deputamadre

deputamadre Senior member

8. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

Here are a few medium format images I have scanned. The first 4 taken for a project I did in a fertiliser factory. (please excuse the quality, they weren't scanned well) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] A few from a series on individuals/loners in a busy tourist location... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. migo

migo Senior member

mm just ebayed an external flash for my camera...now i'm waiting to snap up a 50mm f/2 smc manual (which I prefer to autofocus, honestly)...super fast!

Edit: Look what just came in the mail today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Guy, those are some absolutely enthralling pictures. Medium format has such interesting proportions, I always like seeing how people play with the obviously different visual balance. Was going through some digital negatives and came across this one, which for whatever reason I never looked at carefully enough to like, but I'm really pleased with now: [​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think medium format--specifically the square format--brings a certain tension to a sometimes otherwise banal image. There's something uncanny about an image entirely in a square, symmetrical format. Here are two other pictures of mine I found tucked away: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

jetblast, nice long exposure pictures! judging by the length of the airplane's lights going across the sky, that's gotta be at least a 45 second to 1 minute exposure! on my dslr it would take an equally long time to process that photo through the internal cpu...

anyway here are some of my contributions; i take photography to be a "serious hobby" and take pictures of random things:

gasworks park (seattle), it's me and my ex-gf. i still love the pic after the breakup because it's just too cool:
    [​IMG]]

gasworks park #2:
    [​IMG]

gasworks park #3:
    [​IMG]

random maple leaves (no photoshop involved!):
    [​IMG]

f/1.8 1/20 50mm:
    [​IMG]

yellow screw-on filter:
    [​IMG]

photo for the holidays:
    [​IMG]

13. lost in va

lost in va Senior member

From my hotel room window on my latest trip to nyc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me:

[​IMG]

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Random maple leaves is awesome Stickonatree!

15. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

16. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What car is that in the second pic?

17. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Spent all of yesterday between the 2 Washington airports, had to go to Dulles in the morning to do some stuff, then pick my friend up at Reagan, then drive back out to Dulles to drop him off for his flight to Kuwait. Took some pictures while at Dulles in yesterday morning's fog-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some interior stuff with Christmas decorations-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally figured out my white balance issue and got a chance to fool around with it last night; took some shots using incandescent lighting conditions and others with auto white balance on, you can clearly see the difference-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JB

18. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

What car is that in the second pic?

20's to early 30's Ford I think.

19. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

20's to early 30's Ford I think.

Pretty Badass.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not a great photo, but a cool car. Didn't realize the V sign until I got home and looked at it on my PC

[​IMG]